Looking for Year on Old Johnson outboard?

Scooter804

Recruit
I recently purchased a unknown year Johnson outboard, the model # is QD-17 and its a 10hp. The cover says seahorse on it. I was wondering if someone could tell me the year. I also have a problem with the fitting from the gas tank that plugs into the outboard, it leaks and you can no longer purchase them. I was wondering if someone had a way to solve this. I was told that you may be able to put an in line fuel pump. Thanks for the help.

G. Patton

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Looking for Year on Old Johnson outboard?

Scooter.... That engine is a 1956 10hp Johnson. The fuel connector can have new "O" Rings installed to restore it to its original condition. The "O" Ring OMC part number is #301824 and they are still available at any OMC dealership. To remove them, simply remove the connector from the fuel/air lines (keep in mind which line went where), insert a tool into the opening where the lines were connected, and knock the brass ends out of it with the old "O" Rings, etc (I use a small straight allen wrench as a tool). Then simply install the new "O" Ring and pound the unit together again in the reverse order that it came apart. It's a easy operation.

Scooter804

Recruit
Re: Looking for Year on Old Johnson outboard?

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the assistance. Scooter