1978, 70 hp Johnson motor transom mount

tinyminer

Recruit
Hi all I am new here, and I like your Forum. I bought this 1978,70 hp Johnson motor,and was told that I could take it to a Marine Dealer and have it checked out. I did, and the dealer said that it was a great motor, they had run it checked it out compleatly, The compresion was 31# on all cylenders, said that was as good as a new motor, I said well I finaly got somthing that will work. He said that was the good news. the bad news is you can only go in a stright line, (puzzeled) then he said that the transom mount is froze to the shaft, they tried everything to see if they could free it up, but couldn't. he said that if I could find another motor that had a blown eng they could fix it at a reasonalable price, If they can find one and install it, it would still be expensive. I know that I could take the owner to court and get my money back but the cost and time would take most of what I paid for it. Know anyone that may have an old motor,or can tell me how to free this one up? Earl :confused: [*]null

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978, 70 hp Johnson motor transom mount

Earl,<br /><br />Sorry to hear of your problems, been there. I think every boater has had something like that happen to them.<br /><br />Try the classifieds here and others on the web, there are a lot of sources on the web.<br /><br />Good luck!

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Earl, you may have more problems than just the motor mount. 31 lbs. compression is not very good in my book, I would expect around 100 lbs. compression on each cylinder.<br /><br />But, on the motor mount, leave it on the back of your boat, and you can try soaking it daily in penetrating oil, heat it up first with a hot air paint stripper gun (be very careful) not to overheat it an melt plastic parts). Then spray the fitting are with the penetrating lubricant. The heat on the outside will sometimes allow more oil to soak inside the bushings. <br /><br />May talk a week or so to free it up, but I would still look for another mount. Check your local yellow pages for boat junk yards, they shuold be able to help you find a used one.

alcan

Commander

Hi tinyminer,<br /> That dealer just didn't want to charge you that much money to free that swival. There is no reason it can't be repaired. Unless its bent. Sea Dawg has the right idea. If it was me I would get a manual first, then take the thing apart , clean her up and re- greese. This is not a hard job, but its time consumeing. Good luck have fun.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

SeaDawg is right, 31# is enough pressure for a car tire, but not an outboard. Double-check the numbers they gave you at the marine shop. If it is indeed 31 pounds, the transom mount is the least of your worries. If it is 131, it sounds like a healthy motor!

tinyminer

Recruit

Hi,tinyminer here, Just a little up date, Yes 31 would be to lowfor the compression check, it is 131 sorry about that. and the reason I can't use the one thats on the motor is that it had hit somthing and was welded back and if it was welded while on the motor it could have shrunk past where it supposed to be. and the lock & elevation part was not welded back. Thanks I realy appreciate the help. Earl

G DANE

Commander

Howdy Tinyminer<br />Dont give up - if the motor is running ok.<br /><br />I think the clamp from as well 50 HP, 60Hp and 70HP from 71 and foreward is the same. The same goes for 55HP as well, and a lot of the 55Hp blows the head. Someone correct me if i am wrong. You should be able to find a scrap motor easily when you dont need powerhead og gear. If the compression is only 31 it wouldnt start - figure must be wrong.<br /><br />good luck