1982 Johnson 235 HP--power head

round2it

Seaman Apprentice
Unfortunately my motor needs a new power head. Researched everything so far and it's going to be about 4500 installed and rebuilt carbs, new power packs etc...Best to buy new motor or boat but can't for about 2 to 3 years looks like. Kids in college and new teenager about to drive. Fun Fun. My questions are:<br />1. As luck would have it, what would the chances of the lower unit being damaged by the new power head?<br /><br />2. I know that I may be in the devil's den, but has anyone here purchased a rebuilt powerhead from Iboats. If so, how was the service, warranty. How well do they stand behind what they sell?

round2it

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1982 Johnson 235 HP--power head

A little help would certainly be appreciated. Wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to get this thing rebuilt. Maybe I am! Think its worth the money. That's one thing for sure that I don't have enough of. If it is worth getting done, that will be the only way to keep I can keep on boating for now. If not, then I have a well maintained 82, 22 foot ChrisCraft cuddy cabin hull, full electronics, and tandem axle trailer for sale. Again, comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

round2it

Seaman Apprentice

Bought the boat 1 year ago. Ran good. Compression on one cylinder was a little low when I bought it, 10 pounds exactly from the rest of the bank. My overtemp alarm went off. Cut the motor immediately, waited three hours and went back to the dock 5 minutes away. Even tho I had good water discharge, it was hot. I was having the thermostats and impeller replaced. Had good water flow to one bank, none on the other. took the heads off bad bank and water diverter had become deformed blocking water to upper cylinder. Piston ring had failed imbedding metal into the piston and scoring the cyclinder wall. Motor still will crank. Only one cylinder is damaged that we can tell. Mechanic recommends new power head as really don't know damage to rest of bank.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The next step is to take it apart. If the crank is good and the block is boreable then rebiuild that one. If your mechanic is uncomfortable rebuilding then he can always send it to either of the E/J factory remanufacturing facilitys and have them disassemble it and make a recomendation.<br /><br />Good luck!