Johnson 115 fuel pump problems?

grima

Cadet
I have a Johnson 115 V4 (about 20 yr old). The problem is that it refuses to start or go into gear when I completely lower the motor using the tilt. If I keep the motor raised (10 degrees or more) it will start first time, and go into gear when selected. Once it's running and in gear I can lower the motor completely and I'm away.<br /><br />The other thing is that the motor runs 'lumpy' at medium revs. It's fine at idle and at full speed. Although the motor doesn't smoke much (only when starting), I have noticed that when I run it at home using ear-muffs there is a small amount of oil being spat out the exhaust (Is this normal).<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's summer at the moment and I'm keen to make the most of it.

D

DJ

Re: Johnson 115 fuel pump problems?

I do not think you have fuel pump problems, it sound more like carb. needle and seat or float(s).<br /><br />A little oily residue is normal.

grima

Cadet
Re: Johnson 115 fuel pump problems?

Thanks for the advice djohns19. I've booked it in for a service on the 6th of Feb so I'll let you know how I go. At least the needle and seat or floats shouldn't be too expensive to rectify.<br /><br />Thanks again, grima.