visual things to look for on a used boat

kojak58

Recruit
I am looking to buy a 1991 Chaperrel that looks imacualate on the inside and out from the internet pictures. If the pictures hold true it really does look like a new boat. The problem is there is no pictures of the motor. I am wondering what to look for knowing what the compression tests are and knowing what the lower unit oil should look like. Is there anything else I am missing?<br />Thanks <br />Kojak

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: visual things to look for on a used boat

Check out floor and transome for soft spots, very costly to fix. Eyeball the underside of the boat for gouges or repairs. Visually test ALL electrical stuff(gauges,lights,tilt/trim,bilge/livewell pump, horn, depthfinder, radio, etc....trailer too!). Test steering lock to lock. If possible,check battery condition with hydrometer. On the water test is the best way to go. Compression and lower unit fluids checks are quick but check out starter motor (connections and loose bearings)and when the last time the impeller was changed. Lots of other stuff but this will get you started looking. When in doubt, ask, then verify.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: visual things to look for on a used boat

Compression should be at least 100 PSI on all cylinders and within 10% of each other. Lower unit fluid should be clear or black(Not milky) looking. Check Tilt/Trim if it has it.(Cycles up/down smoothly with no strange noises)Check for service records or owners maintenence schedule. Test run it on the water. Check it again when you get back.