General boat handling questions.....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Having only driven boats in the 17' to 23' range, the way my little 14' runabout handles really supprises me. It feels more like a go-kart because it is so sensitive to small changes in steering and throttle. It also tracks a lot truer in a straight line than the larger boats. <br /><br />I have been having fun tossing this boat around and wonder what the handling will be like when reaching the turning limits? In other words, what can I expect from high speed (20-25mph) hairpin turns? How can I tell if I am entering a danger zone? :eek: <br /><br />I don't have a death wish, I just want to know!<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mark.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: General boat handling questions.....

How can I tell if I am entering a danger zone?
Shortly thereafter you'll be wet.<br /><br />In either sense. Sometimes both.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

I think it would depend on the water. If you're on a glassy surface you might never be able to hit that envelope (either that, or be able to hold the tiller).<br /><br />On the other hand, hit a small wave even at a moderate throttle, and you'll be in trouble.<br /><br />When I was (much) younger, we used to spend a lot of time fishing out of those smaller boats, and as kids, we'd do things - fortunately, it wasn't me (at least I'll never fess-up to it), but I've seen them catch plenty of air (and plenty of water).<br /><br />If you're willing to push, just make sure you're wearing your life vest.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br />
How can I tell if I am entering a danger zone?
Shortly thereafter you'll be wet.<br /><br />In either sense. Sometimes both.
ROFLOL<br /><br />Good to see you still have your sence of humor Dehadley :p :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ok, I guess I had that one from Dehadley coming... :D <br /><br />But seriously, how does a smaller boat handle when pushed to its limits? Do they roll into the turn? Do they slide to the outside of the turn? What happens?<br /><br />Mark.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Depends on the hull shape. If it is a semi V configuration with a near flat transom area, you could have a whole mess 'o fun dealing with the resulting spinout. If there is more deadrise at the transom, it may take hard turns at speed better. There is one way to find out, but put on your vest and make sure the kill-switch lanyard is around the wrist, and let the fun-fest begin!