first boat

griff04

Recruit
Hey All, I'm looking to buy my first boat. There is a good deal to be had on a 2000 SX175 w/ a 3.0. What's the word on this boat? Should I buy? Going to use for just fun, pulling the kids, getting out on the water, etc...<br /> Any comments would be appreciated.<br /><br /><br /> thanks scumsucker

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: first boat

It might help to know what brand the boat is,<br />the price, condition of the engine, hull, and transom, trailer.<br />Saltwater use, or fresh? Maintained or not?<br />Have you driven it? Never buy a boat without a test drive.<br />Where will you use it? Is it a suitable boat for those waters?<br /><br />You say its a good deal, but without knowing the above, how do you know? How are we supposed to know?

griff04

Recruit

Sorry about that. It is a Glastron, with 200 hrs. Have not seen it yet. Is this a good year and model for the sx175?<br /><br /><br /> scumsucker

jurasicjet

Cadet

Hello,<br />I bought a 19ft. 1992 Celebrity this year. Same size as yours pretty much. Nine has a 4.3 V6 in it. The 3.0 I would worry about the power. I have 3 kids and the wife and when we load everything up you need all the power you can get. One never has too much power.<br />The Stingray looks very similar to my Celebrity. I enjoy the rear bench seat. It does make for working on the motor a bugger though. <br />I personally would not vote for the Bayliner. Not that I really have had any experience with them other than what I hear on the street. Up here (WI) it seems like Bayliner bashing is a hobby. In all seriousnes though, that WILL affect you resale value when/if it comes time to sell. I would most certainaly lean towards the Glastron. Good boat. My buddy has an 18ft and he loves it (4.3litre in it). Sea Ray makes a good boat too.<br />Good luck. I can certainly tell you that we have made some great family memories over the past 5 years with the boats that we have owned. Your kids won't forget it.