a different trim tabs question

mattttt25

Commander
this question relates to standard trim tabs and the ever so popular smart tabs...<br /><br />i read that when reggie fountain rigs a boat for optimal performance, he mounts the trim tabs horizontal to the water surface as opposed to mounting them parallel to the bottom of the boat's hull. if anyone knows something about getting the most performance out of boats, it's fountain.<br /><br />any thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: a different trim tabs question

he mounts the trim tabs horizontal to the water surface as opposed to mounting them parallel to the boat's hull
I Must be Missing Something...........<br />That Sounds to be the Same Thing..........

mattttt25

Commander

i edited my post for clarification. horizontal with the water (or level) versus parallel with the bottom of the boat hull (at angles).

LubeDude

Admiral

:confused: :confused: :confused: <br /><br />Horizontal: ___________________________<br /><br />Paralell: ___________________________<br /> ___________________________

mattttt25

Commander

yes, they would be the same if we all drove flat bottom boats.<br /><br />most boats have a v, some amount of deadrise at the stern. trim tabs are usually mounted to be parallel to the bottom of the hull, or follow the same line as the hull does. hence, parallel to the hull.<br /><br />fountain mounts his tabs parallel to the water, or level to the ground if the boat was on a trailer. he does not care what deadrise the boat has.<br /><br />am i still that confusing? if i could draw it, i would.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Mattttt25;<br /><br />I can not speak to Reggie's reason for this, however you should first understan that he has a very special design boat with built in hull characteristics. I can tell you that the tabs will tend to cut in more on the outer edges which may act more like stering strakes. On their larger boats, they use a special trim system ($2,000.). <br /><br />Keep in mind that he is tuning the boat for one specific purpose - max speed - and it is an intergal part of the hull design.<br /><br />This may or may not apply to your boat.<br /><br />Unless the hull is designed to work with trim tabs that are mounted horizontal I would not recommend this type of installation.

mattttt25

Commander

thanks john, was hoping i clarified my question enough.<br /><br />i'm going to try and find the article again and i'll post his specific reasons for doing so.<br /><br />you are correct- his rigging is for maximum speed, and he uses the trim and tab settings much more than the average boater to squeak every last ounce of speed out of a boat. i guess he has found this way out mounting to work better.<br /><br />would like to still hear other people's opinions.