Repair on Drain Plug Sleeve

Douglas K

Cadet
The brass sleeve that fits through the transom and accepts the boat plug on my 17' Regal spins and wants to pull out. How do I repair this so it won't leak and so the plug doesn't pull the sleeve out when you remove the plug? thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repair on Drain Plug Sleeve

If you can get the sleeve out and replace it with a new one, that would be best. Use 3M 5200 sealant to seal up the new one when you install it and that will take care of it...

Douglas K

Cadet

Originally posted by rickdb1boat:<br /> If you can get the sleeve out and replace it with a new one, that would be best. Use 3M 5200 sealant to seal up the new one when you install it and that will take care of it...

Douglas K

Cadet

Is the sleeve an aftermarket item or should I contact the manufacturer? What holds the sleeve in the transom, just the sealant around the outside edge that pushes up against the transom or do I try to put sealant inside the hole?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Some have the sleeve and a nut that goes on the inside of the transom that holds it in. Some screw to the outside of the transom. The sealer is to keep it from leaking. An aftermarket one will work fine.<br /><br /> web page<br /><br />Or:<br /><br /> web page

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

When you replace the sleeve ,which you can get anywhere,Make sure the hole is very clean and wipe with acetone which will displace any moisture.You may also want to drop the bow so nothing trickles out the drain.Spread the 5200 in the hole and on the tube.Make sure a little goes past the hole and some comes out the rear of the hole.After you push the tube in all the way leave it alone for at least 24 hours and it will be permanent.Get a new plug that enlarges as you turn the T handle.Dont test it by pulling on it for a few days.Dont worry ,it will be forever.Charlie