Johnson Problem

jimfishes

Cadet
Do any of you use a johnson or evinrude in the 9,9-15hp (1992 thru 98) for trolling?<br />I ask because the service manuals point out<br />that these models were designed NOT to allow<br />"hands off" steering. This is not acceptable<br />when one wishes to retrieve a lure to get rid of a weed, etc. if your buddy is trolling from the front of the boat.<br />As a result of all this, I ,and many others,<br />keep tightening the pivot shaft friction screw which results in the pivot shaft bushing being crushed and broken since it is composed of a hard, black, brittle plastic similar to bakelite (Part #332663).<br />As I do my own service work,I am in the process of replacing this bushing for the third time and it requires complete disassembly of the engine to do so. I have<br />discussed this matter with two or three<br />highly qualified Johnson servicemen and they report replacing this bushing regularly on many motors as they just don't hold up in service.<br />I am attempting a to find a "work around" for this problem and am considering making <br />a brass bushing for this application. If anyone else has had this problem and found a<br />solution, I would be eternally grateful for<br />any feedback I can get.<br /> jimfishes

D

DJ

Re: Johnson Problem

I'm not sure I understand your situation.<br /><br />If you want to leave the engine running, in gear and leave the driving position-I'm not so sure that is a good idea!

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 1994 15 hp Johnson will troll down but you can't release the tiller handle for more than a few seconds before it's made a hard starboard turn. That's just the nature of the beast...

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Jimfishes, all of my buddies (and myself) find that either an EZ Steer setup to the main motor or a bungee-cord or two help hold the kicker steady. I like the brass bushing idea, though. When trolling for salmon, we often leave the motor in gear when retreiving tackle from one downrigger while leaving the other to fish. There can be a lot of traffic in some "honey holes" and if you stop, especially against the current, you will suddenly be under severe verbal and possible physical abuse from a lot of cranky fishermen. :eek: But the steering wheel is always withing arm's reach, and we keep a sharp lookout for other boats. It is a very interesting place to fish at times. :D

jimfishes

Cadet

Walter---<br />You have described my problem perfectly!<br />And, yes, it is the nature of the beast thanks to the design engineers who were doing the old CYA maneuver. However, as an engineer, I have determined to tame this beast by coming up with a workable modification.<br />I was hoping that one or more of you nice people had less patience than I and had already solved this problem.<br /><br /> jim ;)

Mikael-Block

Seaman

Fouled plug...<br />EZ Steer setup..what is that...<br />I want to make some kind of rod between main and trolling motor, so I can use the wheel instead of hanging in the back...<br />Does you have a drawing ?.<br /><br />Knæk og bræk<br />From Denmark