Evinrude 88 SPL overheats

lobsterboy

Cadet
Need some help! My 1992 Evinrude 88 SPL is over temping on 2 cylinders. I still have good water flow out of the pee hole. Noticed alot of corrosion around the head gasket on the hot side. The manual I have does not show the cooling water flow paths. This over temp happened while I was running it at idle in the driveway. Is it possible to have one head path clogged and still have a visible flow? I have about 50 hours on the water pump. Are there any manuals that show the cooling water flow path?

D

DJ

Re: Evinrude 88 SPL overheats

Lobsterboy,<br /><br />Yout V-4 has two thermostats. They are located at the back of the engine right below the exhaust cover. The exhaust cover is the flat plate between the two banks of cylinders.<br /><br />The two large hoses you see back there go to the thermostat housing.<br /><br />Your head gasket is probably cooked. Best to replace it.<br /><br />Make sure you torque to spec. and retorque after about ten hours.

clanton

Rear Admiral

When you replace the head gasket, dont forget to check the water deflectors in the block.

Jarhead

Cadet

Hello, Just thought I would add my 2 cents- I had a 98-88spl, the first time I took it out the Thermo stuck. When I brought it back to dealer the Mech said it was a problem the 88spl had. he replaced the Thermo, but when I took it out again after a week of idle the Thermo stuck again? It was a problem I had until I sold the boat! :rolleyes:

clanton

Rear Admiral

Where do you want the water flow chart E-mailed to?

lobsterboy

Cadet

Question for Jarhead. Did you still have water flow out of the peehole when one of your thermostats stuck closed?