1976 Evinrude 35Hp Overheating

Griffo

Recruit
I've put a new water pump and spacer tube in this motor then fired her up. It ran for about 2/3mins then started throwing out water through the prop and exhuast ports at the top of the leg. This lasted about 3 to 5 minutes then the water slowly got less and less until there was just a slight hint of steam coming out. Why is this so?<br /><br />Ive just bought this motor and as far as I know it has been sitting for at least three years without running. It started after about ten pulls and seems to have good compression but pumped no water at all until I changed the water pump. <br /><br />Please Help any info would be great.

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: 1976 Evinrude 35Hp Overheating

Griffo, I would suspect a thermostat sticking, or an obstruction in the water passages. Try checking the thermostat in a pan of water on the stove and see if it opens when warmed up.

Spur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im kinda in the same boat (pardon the pun) I took my cover off the thermost last night and blew out the two holes with air first and then water to assure they were not restricted. I am just learning so Im not sure I did the right thing, but it worked.<br /><br />I have a thread I posted today called "last time to ask this question, I hope" that I have a few more questions on to be sure.<br /><br />Good Luck

G DANE

Commander

Griffo & Spur<br /><br />The water should come out of the opening on back of leg right after start, it does not depend of thermostat. I did a mistake once. It took long time to pickup and spray water so i changed impeller and checked everything, just to find out the water in my barrel wasnt deep enough. The water must cover the pump, not just the water intake.<br /><br />When i got the motor deeper in, everything was fine - give it a try.

Spur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dude that is exactly what I was doing wrong. The day before yesterday the water cover over the vent with alittle to spare.<br /><br />Yesterday I went inside and the water filled up alot furthur and it worked fine. Thanks I bet a buck thats what caused it to work last night!

Griffo

Recruit

Thanks people I will try a couple of things and let you know what happens