checking compression

evinrude 2.5

Cadet
Hello again; I am wondering if checking the compression on my 1988 evinrude 2.5 would give any meaningful information as far as the overall condition of this motor? This motor was completly froze up when I got it as I stated in previous posts, but its all freed up now and I re-set the air gap per the original service manuals I bought from the local Evinrude dealer. I changed the gear case oil, and lubed what was requiered in the manual. Well what are your thoughts on the compression issue? Thanks ;Dan .

petryshyn

Commander
Re: checking compression

Sounds like you haven't run it since you freed it up. If this is the case, doing a compression now won't give an accurate account of whats going on. Come on!! you know you can't wait till spring.... Stick that puppy in a garbage can and flash it up. It'll warm up in a hurry. After the telltale is warm, do a compression....<br /><br />Good luck!! :)

evinrude 2.5

Cadet
Re: checking compression

Your right, I can't wait, I will kill me to wait that long. I guess I needed someone to tell me that. Thanks, I'm going for it real soon. Dan.