2000 150 john won't idle after re-start

ocean pro

Recruit
I have a 2000 150 hp ocean pro johnson that doesn't like to run after i shut it down. time could be five minutes or hours. i have to advance the throttle in neutral or gear to keep it lit. after i advance the throttle a few minutes it will settle down and idle. it isn't losing prime. the dealer tech did mess with the vapor seperator once. i was told the float was stuck and out of adjustment. the fuel pump was replaced also. other than that, cold start and operation is sharp and flawless. economy is excelent. any help?

D

DJ

Re: 2000 150 john won't idle after re-start

You're flooding. The culprit is most likely a worn needle and seat in one or more of the carbs.<br /><br />Had the same problem with two v-4's.<br /><br />If it's a Ficht model disregard the above. A Ficht with a bleeding down injector will act like that also.

ocean pro

Recruit

i would think that a bad needle/seat would be noticeable while idleing. it runs clean and doesn't drop a cylinder. i can just about troll with this. i have had the problem since i bought it new. it has about 135-150 hours on it. all idle screws are referenced close to the same. i turn them in until they drop and then back out 1/2 turn (fine pitch screws). this puts them out 3 1/2 turns from seat. i apreciate your input. thank you!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like something is going on with the Quick Start mode. When it's operating correctly you shouldn't have to mess with the throttle at all on start up. It should go into a slightly higher idle and then idle down as it warms up all by itself.<br /><br />There are a couple of other things to look at also. Are you using the oil injection? Does it smoke excessively upon start up? What oil are you using? What spark plugs? What grade fuel? Is it fresh fuel? Does it do this every time you start it?<br /><br />Good luck!

ocean pro

Recruit

yea, quick start should take care of it, but it will only work within a preset set of parameters(will it?). i think it is programmed for a certain amount of advance. i don't think it is a feedback system that is looking for a certain rpm. maybe i'll get an education. i've used all grades of fresh gasoline with no noticeable change. i am using the injection pump. the engine is stock and so are the champion plugs. they are changed every spring. the oil is phillips injex and runs no different than omc. i think phillips is the supplier. yes, it does it every time i start it, but not on a cold start. the ceramic on the plugs always look good. thank you for your input!

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

I have an Ocean runner 175, Not a Ficht. But I do know that Johnson does issue computer upgrades to the dealers on occasion , you might want to talk to the dealer and see if you'r engine needs to be reprogrammed. If it is a ficht. I doubt that an engine has an worn needle being that new.