timing light

seajay

Seaman Apprentice
how would you attach an inductive timing light to a 1987 25hp Johnson cd2 ignition; also conecting tach? :confused:

petryshyn

Commander
Re: timing light

Hi<br />can't see anything different in connecting to your unit...<br />>ind. pickup clamps on #1 (top cylinder plug wire)<br />>power leads go to 12v source<br /><br />>as far as the tach goes, is this for a permanent install?<br />>does it have a charging system?

seajay

Seaman Apprentice

this would be temp;for tune up purpose only. motor doesnot have charging system.

petryshyn

Commander

if you don't have a timing light yet, buy one with the tach built in. Any inductive tach will work on the plug wire, but may require a little 'math' if its not specificaly for 2-stroke(not a big deal to divide by 2)<br /><br /> :)

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

In my experiance ,most automotive inductive tachs will not work on your ignition system.Most use solid core wires that deliver spark too intense and fast for the tach to handle,plus the R.F.leakage between wires and that inductive throws off reading or makes the digital screen go blank.Some chainsaw tachs will work and I use one everyday but have not found it usefull on your CD2 ignition.

petryshyn

Commander

Hi hondon:<br />Next time you run in to that problem, try opening the inductive pickup slightly and installing a piece of cardboard at the open end. You may have to experiment to get the right gap. This will reduce the induced voltage to the meter. My tach clamp has this feature built in.<br /><br />Good luck! :)

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For some opinions on your tach question, scroll down the topics list to "Hand Held Tach"<br /><br />The Tiny Tach is an inductive clamp-on type that may meet your needs.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks schemo.I'll fart around with that at some point this winter and pass the findings along.The reason I made the post is several years back I bought a multi/tach that said it would do what we have been discussing.Nice meter,still use it alot, but the tach would not work unless I made a carbon core plug wire.Now have a couple tachs that work on everything but I hate to think that someone out there might get burnt by the same tool truck rhetoric.