Engine stalling

jj6987

Cadet
Ok here is what I am having problems with.I have an 84 Evnirude 150XP. When I get ready to run, sometimes I have to go back to the primer bulb and squeeze it becuase the engine won't start. After I do that it will start. Then sometimes when I am starting to run and giving more throttle I will almost be ready to plain and then the engine stalls , but doesn't die just remains running. But this only happens maybe 2-3 times a day on the water. I have been told I have an air leak in my fuel lines somewhere but I have replaced 80% of them all ready and the others were good. I have checked all connections to make sure they are tight. I have replaced the fuel filter, primer,bulb, & recently just gave it a tune up so I know I have strong spark. Another thing I was told was maybe a VRO pump going out but why would it do it only 2-3 times instead of all day. And when I am running I have no problmes and have lots of power. Need all the help I can get.

Big Al1

Seaman
Re: Engine stalling

Sounds like a leak to me. Make sure carb parts have not come loose. Does it leak excess gas/oil into water when it boggs? Could be float/needle setting.

Brew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Big Al. Sounds like an air leak. You could try replacing the carb gaskets.<br /><br />Good luck

jj6987

Cadet

That is what all the local shops have told me but I replaced all fuel lines and about 6 months ago had the carbs rebuilt and it ran fine up until I replaced the resert check valves under the carbs. Maybe I should replace the gaskets where the carbs meet the manifold??? Yesterday I put some clear PVC hose inplace of the fuel line from the primer bulb to the engine to see if I was getting air bubbles in my fuel but I didn't. I did notice that the fuel wasn't getting moved very much though. But the VRO pump is less the a year old. Can the VRO pump go out on the fuel side and not the oil side? Why the intermittent problem??

Jerry M.

Seaman

Do you have a gas/water seperator? If so, pull the filter to see how much water is in it. if you don't have a seperator, get one. Pull a plug or two to see if there are any water droplets inside the plug. Last time out mine acted like yours and when I pulled the filter, it was 7/8ths full of water. I bought a used boat that sat for a while and am still gettig water from the gas tank.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive had the fuel side of a vro go out on a 1999 50 horse Johnson. At the time the motor was only a year old. I was going along and the motor quit as if it ran out of fuel, no alarms went off, had to pump primer bulb, start motor and run for about 2 or 3 minutes and repeat over again all the back to dock. When I got to the ramp I ran the motor for awhile then finally the no oil alarm went off. vro was replaced under warrenty.My problem was constant once it started.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'm not sure what you mean by "resert check valves under carbs". Could you explain?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty