Need help identifying a motor

mclay

Cadet
I recently purchased a motor I was told was a 1976 25hp Evinrude. I got it home and checked the model number on the Evinrude web site and no match.<br /><br />Anyone want to try this one? Model number 225 3624. The casing has been painted and there are no outside markings. The plate with the model and serial said the Goodyear Rubber Co. Akron Ohio<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated.

G DANE

Commander
Re: Need help identifying a motor

Look at the frost plugs in the powerhead.<br />There should be one with type and correct number. If not, it can be a replacement power head.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Mclay, OMC made engines for a few companies, montgomery ward, gale and goodyear. Unfortunately at this time, I am in the process of moving. I have a few parts books for goodyear motors, couldn't tell you right now if I have one for that motor. but they are in a box someplace. I probably won't get to it until after the first of the year.

D

DJ

Mclay,<br /><br />You may have an engine manufactured for Goodyear. However, I do not believe it would be a 1976 model. I think it is much older than that.

alcan

Commander

Hi Mclay.From my records it shows a Goodyear Sea Bee 1958 22de15g code 225-3624 electric 25hp. Does this sound like your motor?It's listed under Gale products,made by OMC.I have never seen one of these models.I would think repairs would be same as any other OMC product of that era.Parts should be readly available.I belive you said (in another post)it had no spark.The 1st thing I would do is go buy a manual or go to libiary and copy what you need.Don't worry too much about the age of your motor,check out condition.To me a sound motor is a sound motor.I have 3 or 4 of them old 25s I run quit a bit (I have to,thier so old nobody will buy em off me)if they are in fair condition,they are a good work horse.I would pull the fly wheel,check the mag coils for splits, cracks.If they look ok, then clean the crust of the points,reset the gap,retest for spark.You will probably find a few other things amiss also_Of course those points need replaced before you shove off. good luck!

mclay

Cadet

Alcan Thanks for the help. It is not an electric motor. I don't know much about motors but from what I have seen in the past this motor is big enough to be a 25hp. The plate says specifically...when ordering parts give these numbers. The model number is 225-3624 serial number 719649. Then it says the goodyear tire and rubber company Akron Ohio<br /><br />G dane I don't know what frost plugs are? Help