Reed Valves and power increase

G DANE

Commander
I am rebuilding an Evinrude 35 HP now.<br /><br />I once had a Suzuki moped. On this moped, which was power reduced due to restrictions in Denmark, i bent the guides behind the reed valve 1/8 inch back. It gave a lot more top speed. Does anyone know if it will have the same effect om my 35HP Evinrude ?? There are plenty of space to bend the guides 1/8 incl back. ++ ;)

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Reed Valves and power increase

G dane i dont think iwould alter the reed stops the reeds are designed to travel so far ,and if you increase the travel iwould think the reed would possibly break off after some time ,and you know where the broken piece goes ! you may consider boeyson plastic/ fiberglass reeds

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Reed Valves and power increase

John's advice is sound advice. If ytou were to bend them,it would allow the reeds to flex far more than they designed to. They will fail from metal fatigue at the mounting plate. The motor will injest them, and the engine will be history.<br />You might try the composite reeds that John spoke of,or a larger jet in the carb.. But keep in mind, the incresed fuel flow will change the heat range, and could possably lead to holy piston syndrome (without corective steps taken).