6 hp Evinrude 1975 assembling.

nuffe

Recruit
I have put in a new impeller, and got the lower part almost back, 1/2 inch to go.<br />There is a pin through the shaft about 3 inches from the top - has that got anything to do with it? The gearlinkage is coupled, the waterhose is in its hole, and the shaft is engaged in the motor. What is the trick??<br />regards Ørnulf

dick

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 6 hp Evinrude 1975 assembling.

Yes , there is a slot in the bottom of the P/H ,if you turn the prop with it in gear and lightly push up it should go in.<br />DON'T BASH IT UP ! if it still won't go in pull it off and make sure the pin is split equally through the drive shaft.

nuffe

Recruit

Thanks for good advice!<br />I will have to redraw the shaft a little as i is engaged in the motor.<br />Do You know what the pin is for?

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Yes , to keep it simple ther is a spring/washer assembly below the crank that the driveshaft goes through. That pin pushes it up to the bottom of the crank to seal off.<br />On newer engines they just use seals now.

nuffe

Recruit

Thank You!<br />We have now spent a nice weekend at our cottage, and thanks to the spare 4 hp Mariner, I got a 6 lbs pollack on my light spin rod.<br />I am looking forward to the Evinrude though.<br /><br />regards<br />Ørnulf Nyberg