Lower gear seals, please help !!!!

MATTT

Seaman
Hello, every one.<br /><br /> I have 40horse 1991 johnson. I drained the lower gear oil and looked a little milky. I want to replace the two seals, went out and got a tool called the puller part#378103. The two long brass screws that came with the tool does not fit the two screws holes at the lower gear. Now what do I do ? For me to take out the propeller shaft bearing housing, do I have to replace the O-ring also. And how do I put it back after I am done with every thing ? Do I pound it back in slowly ? Please help....<br /><br />Thanks, so much.<br /><br />Matt.

Mike M2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lower gear seals, please help !!!!

I use a standard wheel puller to remove the housing. Just buy bolts or allthread to make it work. Replace the oring, and i believe there are 2seals on the shaft, one goes in backwards, right on top of each other. The housing can be tricky if it aint been out in a long time. grease the oring and housing, makes reinstall much easier. Something that is allways overlooked, replace orings on your 2 fill screws. Also check shift shaft seal, usually dont leak but check anyway. Be sure to put tape on both shaftsplines when you install new seals so they wont get tore up on install. that should do it! :)

MATTT

Seaman
Re: Lower gear seals, please help !!!!

Thanks, Mike.<br /><br />Matt.