Accessory wiring & Guages

jm

Seaman
Now that the engine is in semi-usable condition I would like to get the running lights and guages installed. I currently have a set of 1979 Chrystler guages that came with the boat. My motor is a 1960's Johnson 40HP. Are these useable? If not can you reccomend a set that will work.<br /><br />Also how should I connect the running lights? Do they go directly to the battery, the electrical control box that came with the motor, or to the ignition switch.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />John

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Accessory wiring & Guages

Ligts & accessories are usually run through a fuse box/block to protect devices & protect boat aganist shorts/fire, etc.<br /><br />I will give the best advice I have from personal experiences... DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!! Do not try and rig something as it will come back to haunt you when you need it!!!<br /><br />Enough said....<br /><br />You can get Fuse Blocks at Auto Parts stores or on-line.<br /><br /> ;)

mworthan

Seaman Apprentice

A couple of thoughts from rewiring I've done in the past. On the subject of gauges, I have generally used Teleflex brand with consistant results and are affordable. If you are rewiring there are a few things I have found worth doing. First, don't make any in-line junctions or connections. If there is a faulty connection and several accessories are wired together "daisey-chain" style it is very hard to trace. You need to purchase small buss terminals (basically a piece of tinned brass mounted to a plastic base with screw terminals) and make all connections at a common point. Basically a "hot" buss and a ground buss will get you started, and if making a lot of common connections such as running lights you can use a terminal as well; bringing things back to a common connection point. Most marine switch panels have either breakers or fuses and that will be the only place to use fuses. Do not bother with fusable links in line as they become very difficult to find and trace (especially at night with your wife holding a flashlight).<br />One real advantage of using terminal blocks or busses to make connections is when adding accesories down the road. The main thing to remember is to pick a common connection point (maybe behind the gauges on the back console wall?) and run all wires from these points. I will on occasion place a seperate ground at the back of the boat and link the two ground busses together, thereby tying the ground system together. Let me know if I can help.

jm

Seaman

So do I connect the fuse block directly to the battery and then everything to the fuse block? Or do I connect the fuse block to the ignition switch some how?

petryshyn

Commander

jm, if you're really lost, list all your accessories and I'll draw you a schematic.<br />I admire you for jumpin in. Electrical can be intimidating. I remember feeling your pain...<br /> ;)

jm

Seaman

A schematic would be great! I have the following guages. RPM, TEMP, SPEED. The accessories I have are as follows, POLE LIGHT, THE GREEN/RED NAV LIGHT, HORN, MARINE RADIO, and soon a depth finder, and I would also like to eventually add a 12V cigirett lighter adapter like in a car to charge a GPS off of if thats possible.

petryshyn

Commander

Yo, just got back from huntin'<br />Few more questions:<br /><br />- are you using the controls that came with the motor?<br /><br />- is the ignition switch part of the control box?<br /><br />- is there a stand-alone ignition switch in the dash?<br /><br />- Are you planning on using existing gauges?<br /><br />- If you are, what make are the gauges, and have you checked to see if tach compatible?<br /><br />- Is there a voltmeter on the dash?<br /><br />- do you have a manual?<br /><br />- do you have access to a digital camera if needed?<br /><br />Last but not least......do you want to do a professional job or a patch em up? Do you have an unlimited budget?...LOL

jm

Seaman

I am using the controls that came with the motor.<br /><br />The ignition switch is separate from the control box. It is mounted in the dash.<br /><br />I would like to use the exhisting guages if they still work. How can I test them?<br /><br />The guages are Chrystler guages that came with the boat in 1979. The motor is not the original from the boat. It is a 1963 Johnson 40HP. I do not know if they are compatible.<br /><br />No volt meter yet. I do plan on adding one.<br /><br />I wish I had the manual. I was able to find a manual for later model Johnson engines that has been of some use but it's not exact.<br /><br />Yes I have a digital camera if needed.<br /><br />As for the quality of work. I like to do things right the first time. I have some extra cash to spend on this project. My main goal is functionality and safty not looks. So if we could use the old guages that would be great.

petryshyn

Commander

From what I've seen, I believe the tach you have will work. It seems that Chrysler engines of that era and size had 12 pole stators, and I believe your engine has 10 or 12 as well. The temp gauge may be a little tougher to accommodate, unless you can find a dealer who'll sell you a sending unit (sensor) of the correct characteristics. If you have a multimeter, I may be able to help with that as well. Can you take a close up (as close as you can get) picture of the back and front of the tach and temp gauges? Also take a picture of your dash with all the switches (front and rear if possible). Do you know how to post a picture on this forum? If you don't, I can help.......<br /> ;)

jm113

Cadet

I'll have the pics posted later on tonight around 10pm EST when I get out of work.

jm

Seaman

Ok here are some pics<br /><br />Console<br />
Control%20Panel%201.jpg
<br /><br />Console Back<br />
consol%20back%20tac%20temp%20speed.jpg
<br /><br />TAC Front<br />
tac%20front%20clear.jpg
<br /><br />TAC Back<br />
tac%20back%20good.jpg
<br /><br />Temp Front<br />
temp%20front.jpg
<br /><br />Temp Back<br />
temp%20back.jpg

jm

Seaman

More Pics<br /><br />Speed Front<br />
speed%20front%20clear.jpg
<br /><br />Speed Back<br />
speed%20back.jpg
<br /><br />Switches Front<br />
switches.jpg
<br /><br />Switches Back<br />Lights on left Horn on right<br />
switches%20back.jpg
<br /><br />Fuse Panel<br />
fuse%20panel.jpg
<br /><br />Ignition Switch<br />
ignition%20switch%20back%201.jpg
<br /><br />Electric Box<br />The wires for this box come off the motor into the box, then connect to the ignition switch.<br />
electric%20box%20better.jpg

petryshyn

Commander

yo john......<br />-I'm a little concerned about the tach and temp gauges. Looks like water in em?<br />-The tach also may be a ignition tach, not an alternator tach. <br />-I'm going to have to be honest man....I think you'll be further ahead with new gauges.<br />-If you're stuck on using them, I'll help, but finding a sender is going to take some testing. And after all is said and done, the gauges might be corroded out from the moisture inside and may not work.<br />- You gotta make the decision before we continue.....<br /> I don't have a schematic that old, so we'll have to work closely on this.<br /> <br />-Do you have a tilt on this puppy?

jm113

Cadet

No tilt. While purchasing new guages is certainly not out of the question I would like to try the old guages. Is there any way to use a multimeter to test them? <br /><br />What kind of costs do you think I'm looking at for a new set? Can you reccomend any online boating supply shops?

petryshyn

Commander

Testing them with a voltmeter will only tell you continuity......not much help. I would guess that the temp gauge is a heated coil gauge and may be hard to find a sender. The tach is guess work for me as well, as it's markings almost suggest its an ignition tach. I guess the best thing to do is ask the forum if anyone can recognize the tach and temp gauge, otherwise check with a marine wreckers. Given the condition of these gauges, life would be easier if you find a dealer for teleflex.(maybe this website!!) and start off right. Take a look at the junction box.

jm113

Cadet

Well I started pricing teleflex guages at my local dealers and they all want $260+ for the TEMP, VOLT, TAC, and SPEED. Are those prices ok? I have seen new teleflex guages on ebay for $10-$15 each. Will all their guages work or are there certain part numbers I need to look for? Also I want to take the boat out this weekend to further test the mechanics of the motor. Can I use a generic VOLT guage from Dicount Auto Parts to monitor the battery? Also can we try the old Temp guage just so I can monitor the engine? The motor still has an old temp sender attached to it. I will probably have to wait a few weeks to purchase new guages if it's going to cost $200+.

petryshyn

Commander

-Yes you can use a automotive voltmeter, but it may not be sealed as well from the elements(leak moisture in)(probably last the life of the boat)<br />-as for using the temp gauge this weekend...do you have a sender that bolts to engine?<br />-I would get the part numb. off E-bay and check their appl. at www.teleflex.com. If they right, and you're a gambler...go for it.(I would)<br />-Princess auto in Canada has nice Marine voltmeters on for about $6.00 US. Probably worth a look! They don't have temp gauges.<br />-Since your not worried about looks, I piece meal it together for cheap.<br />-The tach is the sore spot. Find an old chrysler hound and find out if this tach was for a ignition or alternator. Any reputable electronics shop should be able to uncrimp, clean and test it(unless its corroded out)<br />- I guess it all depends on how hard you want to dig!! If I wasn't so darn scared of the mailing system......I'd have you ship it here and fix it myself.(crimped bezels are made to be broken!)

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Schematic, Boy, you do nice work!

jm

Seaman

I have looked at my engine and can not find any part numbers on what I think is the temp sender. Here are some pics.<br /><br />
temp%20sender%20wide.jpg
<br /><br />
temp%20sender%202.jpg
<br /><br />How much do you think we can piece meal the rest of the componants?