trim motor solenoid

mworthan

Seaman Apprentice
Have a johnson 2 wire, trim motor on a 1981 Johnson 115 V4. The wires feed back to a pair of relays and from there to the switch. I believe that the solenoid is not working in the "lower" operation, will only raise the motor. Just a faint clicking sound when the switch is clicked down. So here are a few questions:<br /><br />1. Is the solenoid inside the trim motor itself?<br />2. If so, can it be replaced without replacing the entire motor?<br />3. I am getting ready to buy a service manual for this engine and is there any particular publisher you would recommend? I guess what I'm asking are these manuals published by OMC or are they a Chilton's type publication. I just want what I get to be complete.<br />Thanks.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: trim motor solenoid

Good Morning,<br />There is no solinoid in the motor. If it runs in one direction then most likely it is ok. There are two relays in the control box that the two wires from the motor go to. It sounds like one of them is bad. <br />When the trim/tilt is operated either up or down power is applied to the appropriate wire of the motor through a set of contacts on one of the relays and the ground return for the other wire on the motor is made through a set of contacts on the other relay. When the trim/tilt is operated in the other direction the function of the relays reverses.<br />The quickest way to fix this problem is to replace both relays. If you want to save a few bucks you can replace one relay, and if the problem is not cured put the old relay back in and then replace the other one. <br />If you have access to a manual and a voltmeter you can verify this before purchaseing a relay by measureing the voltages per the troubleshooting chart in the manual.<br />Good Luck,<br />Bill

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More thoughts, I would recommend the OMC service manual. It is much more complete than the others. <br />Pse. pardon the spelling, it's early here.

mworthan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I will order new relays and be done with it. Also thanks for the recommendation regarding the service manual.