'88 Evinrude 28 SPL - Please Help!

6t7gto

Cadet
Engine runs great except for idle. After a few minutes of trolling at idle or idle in neutral the engine loses fuel prime and dies. I have to squeeze the bulb for a re-start. If I were to give the bulb a squeeze when trolling or run sightly above idle it runs great. I have changed both fuel fittings, the bulb and rebuilt the fuel pump. Compression is 150/155 and there are no fuel leaks to see. Looking for some advise as to what may be my problem. Thanks, Richard

superman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '88 Evinrude 28 SPL - Please Help!

Sounds like you need a carb cleaning. That's the first thing I would do. Good Luck

ob

Admiral

Rma any idle mix screws on this motor? If so try opening them up say 1/2 turn to see if there is any improvement.If not, they are fixed orifices and as recommended above They probably need to be cleared of obstructions.Also, remove carb bowls and insure pick-up tubes are clear

6t7gto

Cadet

Thanks for your responses...<br /><br />Yes, there is a lean/rich adjustment. I set it to specs. Turn lean (clockwise) until the engine runs smooth and rich (counter clockwise) 1/8 turn. I will recheck and if necessary, I will pull the carburetor and clean things out. Richard

ob

Admiral

Rma , just remember that 1/8 turn out adj. is just a rough guide line .each motor has to be fine tuned for separate boat application.Don't be afraid to open a bit more to see if you can muster a response .Just be aware of your starting points as reference.