Johnson 6 hp ID help please

just_glenn

Cadet
can't find a tag on this. Anybody care to take a stab at what year this thing is?<br /><br />If you can ID it I'd also appreciate knowing what plugs go in it. It takes 2. <br /><br />
DCP01066.JPG

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Johnson 6 hp ID help please

Thats an easy one. -I got one myself. Mine is a 1965. Mine is also all white. Maybe yours is 1966-68? because of the colour. The difference between ours and newer ones is the rounder shapes of antikavitation plate and rubber mounts a few inches above kavitation plate. I have a two blade prop too. I can't see any difference between ours. Just the colour (and the broken shift lever). <br />Sparkplugs Champion (823) J6C.<br />Give it some TLC :D <br /><br />/Bear

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

CD-22 6 hp 1965 <br />CD-23 6 hp 1966 <br />CD-24 6 hp 1967 <br />CD-25 6 hp 1968<br /><br />These are the serialnumers. There is no CD-26.<br /><br />/Bear

just_glenn

Cadet

A thousand thank you's. Where is your serial number plate located? Just to be double sure I didn't miss it. It's a grungy thing so I may have not seen it.<br /><br />I promise to treat it with care. Cross my fingers hope to have plugs in it tomorrow. Maybe even take it for a short spin. I should be fine with a 50:1 gas mix right?

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

50:1 gas mix is what I have used the last seven years or so.<br />I can't remember where the serial number plate is located. Under the engine cover, on the crankcase i think. It is visible so if you can't find it you probably don't have it.<br />I'll check and get back to you in a week or two.<br />How is your rubber roller thats is located between the carb linkage and the cam that is connected to the tiller handle? Mine was badly worn, didn't roll and couldn't fully open the carb . I made a new one from a rubber hose. Poor english? Hey I'm from Sweden :) <br />/Bear

just_glenn

Cadet

Your English is as good as any who reply here :) I didn't even notice at first.<br /><br />Found the plugs no problem, they were gapped at .30 so I left them there. I filled a trash can with water and dropped it in. I can't believe this thing, it purrs. What a motor. My throttle linkage seems fine, all I had to do was patch a little crack in the plastic cover to the fuel filter. Super glued it shut just to see the motor run. I'll have to hunt down a new one.<br /><br />I'd be interested to know from anyone what book they thought would be best for this. Mechanically I'm a cut above "Outboard motor repair for Dummies" I put a solid cam in a 428CJ Mustang when I was a kid.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Glenn!<br />Now a I've had a look at my Johnson. If you can't see your serial number plate it's probably missing. Mine is on the engine mounting(?). Just where the engine meets the TOP of your transom. I don't know the right word for it. It's on the left side when you look at it from behind, the tiller side.<br />If you don't have it you should at least be able to find the really small holes for the rivets.<br /><br />/Bear

just_glenn

Cadet

Thanks for looking, I have a 2hp also and that's about where it is on that one too. I didn't see it the first time I looked around there. I'll pull the tarp off the rig tomorrow in daylight and have another try.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Look on top of block toward rear for freeze/welch/core plug about 1 inch dia, if it has plug may have serial and model number.

just_glenn

Cadet

FYI The freeze plugs look new, one says J2883052 on it.<br /><br />Lot of fun with it last year, looking forward to this year. I want to replace that broken shift lever. Is there an online source who can sell me this part?