1989 90 horse V4 Johnson

jfstigar

Recruit
When at full speed after it warms up the rpms drop from 5000 to 3500 and runs only 30 mph. Could this be the stater or a coil going out.<br />It runs great for the first 30 minutes of a long run then it starts up. If i shut it off then take off it runs great for 5 minutes then starts acting up again.

ob

Admiral
Re: 1989 90 horse V4 Johnson

Cajunboat,Let's try to eliminate the easy possibilities first.Is your fuel tank venting properly?One that isn't will cause similar condition by restricting fuel flow.Also defective primer bulb is a possibility.Bulb will appear colapsed during syptom if tank is not venting.<br /> Another possibility is powerpack failing when under cowl temperature increases.You could try running for test with motor cover removed.<br /> <br />Also check to see that your engines cooling system is operating properly.Check waterflow from telltale and insure thermostat is opening.A overheating engine can also cause the symptoms you are having.You can use a thermo melt stik to test head and block temps during water test by premarking in several locations on head covers and block.Local dealer can supply you with a thermo melt stik of 163 degree.

jfstigar

Recruit

Yes, pulled cowling and checked bulb while runnin the bulb was fine cowling made no diffrence.<br /><br />Water is coming out when engine is running like it is suppose too.<br /><br />The only thing i have not checked is the hoses from tank to bulb and vent.<br />Had carbs rebuilt last year.<br /><br />Checked compression and coils checked out fine though. Where is the power pack and stater located and how much to replace?

ob

Admiral

The stator is located under your flywheel and you can locate the powerpacks by simply tracing signal leads from coils.Powerpacks for your model run around $110.

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a timing light with you and check each cylinder when it acts up. This will tell you where to look, whether it be ignition or fuel. If it runs for 30 minutes, I doubt its fuel related.

jfstigar

Recruit

Thanks so much i will try it. I will let you know after this weekend.