Johnson 1974 throttle control housing

edhead

Cadet
Ok, Here it goes this @#$@#$ housing I can't get off to replace the keyswitch. I have tried everything, including a hammer to this and no avail. I have to get this boat out of the water before it freezes. Any help or suggestions would be great. I don't know if the housing is corroaded or what. It does not or that I am missing a screw. Anyone with knowledge or a schematic of this housing would be great. <br /><br />thanks.

D

DJ

Re: Johnson 1974 throttle control housing

whalebone,<br /><br />If the housing is the self contained type, the mounting screws also hold it together. I assume you already know this.<br /><br />Otherwise, it should pry apart.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey djohns, you think this might be one of the old Johnson two piecers?<br /><br />OBJim

Hooty

Rear Admiral

You didn't say which '74 Johnson you had but if all you need to do is start it, you can try removing the cowling, un-pluging the big connector and use a jumper wire to spin the starter. Depending on which engine, all the switch does is ground and unground the CDI and engage the starter.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Went to another thread and had a thought about this one....<br /><br />Whalebone..Do you have the control handle off??<br /><br />OBJim

D

DJ

Outboardjim,<br /><br />That's what I was thinking.

edhead

Cadet

Thanks for the replies.<br /> Yes, the handle is off and warm up lever removed. There is by all accounts nothing holding it together. The Control housing is white all metal, with a black plastic top that is held together with 3 screws. One forward and two aft. These screws have been drilled out because of rust. The screws are mounted in a top to bottom configuration. Anyway, how is it held together. I know that the housing is mounted from the inside of the to the gunall. <br />I know on newer models 1982(made of plastic) they are two piece. <br /><br />Is there a cog that fits in a gear?<br />C-Ring holding the Throttle handle mechanism?<br /><br />Other than prying the thing off the gunall wall, it is the only way to get the thing off.<br /><br />BY THE WAY, REPLACING KEYSTART BECAUSE ANYONE COULD START IT WITH A SCREWDRIVER.

edhead

Cadet

Guys, by the way this boat has had some bad times in the past. Partial sinking last year in saltwater with controls being underwater for a couple of hours. While motoring the engine would die out and would have to call Seatow. Intermittinently it would start and run die, start run and die. Finally died, I know that a key switch is a first step but just getting this up and running without spending too much. <br /><br />Just thought I would give you the real deal. I think it lasted the summer and the connections.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Whalebone...if you can get yer hand behind the panel to which the control is mounted to, can you feel any nuts behind there? Usually these things are mounted to the side board with large washers, a lock washer and nut. I thought we was trying to get the control apart.<br /><br />OBJim :confused:

edhead

Cadet

Outboard Jim,<br /><br />The mounts are mounted with wood screws. Nothing on the back of inside wall.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK...look at the side of the control, this would be the side against which the control handle mounts to. Do you see a separation line as if the front were in two pieces?<br /><br />OBJim

Hooty

Rear Admiral

H*ll, I thought you just wanted to get it started.<br />Get a sawzall with a long blade and cut between the control and gunwale.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

edhead

Cadet

The housing is seperated into two pieces similar to newer Johnson control housings. Something is holding the housing together other than it being attached to the gunale. There is no way I can see of attaching the housing without removing the outer piece and then attaching it to the sidewall. <br /><br />The lower part of the housing can be removed by removing two screws. That is fine and not corroded. Is there another set of screws holding the rest of the housing together?<br /><br />As far as taking a sawzall to it, I want to replace the keyswitch not the controls. <br /><br />Has anyone ever taken one of these apart?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

WhaleBone..... Remove the lower housing. Remove the screws, nuts etc that retain the control box to the boat. Remove the screws on the back top portion of the control box that attach the outside top portion, then split the box.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Whalebone...listen to what Joe is saying. The front is in two pieces. The lower cover plate is held on with three screws. Once the lower cover is off, you can get to the screws holding the control to the side of the boat.<br /><br />OBJim :D

edhead

Cadet

Anyone have a schematic of this? I will explain this as well as I can. <br /><br />I removed top black piece with 3 screws.<br />I removed lower white case.<br /><br />Controls still attached by wood screws,with no visible way of extracting them to sidewall.<br /><br />Removed throttle handle and warm up lever.<br /><br />This is what is left, white colored throttle control housing, which appears to be able to seperate.<br /><br />PROBLEM # 1 top part of housing where 3 screws were had to be drilled out because of rust, corrosion,etc.<br /><br />Would this be the problem? Does it lift up and out? Or does it just seperate. Could this be the REAL PROBLEM?<br /><br />Will try today keep the suggestions coming.<br />Thanks

tobor1973

Recruit

There are two phillips head screws on the back side holding the center piece to it. Look behind, where the control box is mounted to the side of the boat.