85 Javelin overheat warning horn

jmac721

Recruit
I have a mid 70's 85hp Javelin/Johnson outboard. I started it up with the ear muffs attached(like I've done once a month)and was going to let it run for about 10 minutes. After a good 6-8 minutes, the overheat warning horn sounded so I quickly shut it off. I turned the key back on and the horn continued to sound. It wasn't until about 10 minutes after shut down the horn would not sound when I turned the key on. My guess would be the water pump but water was coming out the top like it was supposed to. How do you check it? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 85 Javelin overheat warning horn

Water hose will pressure the system giving a false sense that impeller is ok. Back down a ramp and run. If it still goes off, check impeller, thermostats, and bypass valves.

D

DJ

jmac,<br /><br />Waterbutoo, gives good advice. The crossflow V-4's can be somewhat finicky when run on the muffs.<br /><br />If nothing else, see if you can run it with the L/U in a barrel.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey guys....<br /><br />Do ya' think it possible the thing just may have got air bound. Dosen't the pee hose come off the bottom of the exhaust housing?<br /><br />OBJim :confused:

D

DJ

Could be?? Might want to turn up the volume on the garden hose.