1988 Johnson 200hp problems!

whitey74

Cadet
Ok, original problem first.<br /><br />Everything running fine, motor died, no warning buzzers, temp ok, running premix, won't restart.<br /><br />Cut kill switch and neutral safety switch. Engine now running on 3 cylinders. Both have to be disconnected though (yellow/black).<br /><br />Popped flywheel all six magnets loose, repaired, still not getting power on all six.<br /><br />Began checking wiring (owner before me had it pretty rough) found a short in the main harness, so I bypassed. However in the process I shorted something and blew the main 20 amp fuse. Afterwards tach stopped working and engine stopped charging.<br /><br />My logic? #1 Need new power pack (won't run unless kill switch & neutral switch cut)<br /><br />#2 Need new regulator (no tach or charge)<br /><br />#3 If still not working, may need new stator (no sign of burnt or melted areas.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 1988 Johnson 200hp problems!

Lets start with Nr. 1:<br />If you have to disconnect the black and yellow wire for it to run, it's not the powerpack. The black and yellow is shorted to ground somewhere.<br /><br />Nr. 2:<br />If the battery isn't charging and the tach quit working, it's probably the rectifier, not the regulator. It (the rectifier) probably lost all its smoke when the fuse blew.<br /><br />Nr. 3:<br />Test the stator for peak voltage. This will tell you for sure if the stator is working or not.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty