Warning Buzzer on 115 Hp Johnson V4

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys,<br /><br />I have a 1984 Johnson 115 Hp V4 on a 1988 18Ft Angler CC. Just bought the boat. It ran fine on a sea test when purchasing. It still runs fine now, but when I run the motor more than 3000 rpms the warning buzzer sounds and stays on until I throttle down to idle. The motor has the VRO system. I checked the oil and pumped the ball and it was hard. <br />I also see the water tempature gauge climb to about 220 degrees. The engine is not running hot. The pump is pumping great and the water is cool. Felt the heads and they seem at normal temp. My question is, What is that buzzer sounding for? The water temp or the VRO? It only does it when under load over 3000 rpm. Thanks.<br /> :confused: <br /> Joe

D

DJ

Re: Warning Buzzer on 115 Hp Johnson V4

flash,<br /><br />220 degrees is way to hot for an outboard. I wouldn't expect to see anything over 150.<br /><br />Most likely culprits are the thermostats.

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply Djohns. It cant be running hot. The tempature gets higher at higher rpm's. The pump is pumping strong and the water is barely warm. I can feel the head and its not very hot. I had a cooling problem with a race car and it turned out to be the electric gauge. I put in a mecahnical gauge it it was fine. I will check the gauge and replace the thermostat in it. If that does not do it, than I will test and/or replace the tempature sensors in the heads. I guess I am cursed with cooling problems.Land and Sea. Thanks. :) <br /><br /> Joe

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Flash...<br /><br />Don't believe your engine was equipped with a vacuum switch to monitor fuel flow so the alarm your getting is heat related. It is possible on your engine that one head can overheat and the other will stay at normal temp as each head has it's own t-stat. If you are feeling the water coming from the "pee" hole on the engine pan, it will feel cool because it hasn't been through the block yet. Lack of water flow may be your problem. Even though a good water flow may be apparent, the volume from the water pump may be down because the pump impeller is "tired" and needs replaced. Keep us posted as to your progress.

anonym

Cadet

Hi Flash,<br /><br />I don't know if this applies to your particular engine, but I have a 1992 Johnson 120 hp and as far as I know, there are four alarms that the warning horn alerts:<br />* low oil level<br />* no oil gets into VRO pump<br />* high temperature<br />* no fuel to powerhead at 3/4 or full throttle<br /><br />Cheers!

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Guys,<br /><br />I just found out that the 1984 Johnson 115 has a low oil alarm beeps every 20 seconds and a temp alarm that is continuous. In 1986 they added a no oil alarm. I read another post and one of the fellas on the forum posted the alarms. Im sure it tempature. My gauge climbs high. Im gonna buy me one of those Infared pinpoint Temp guns. Its worth 100 bucks to me. I know I will be using it in the future.No more guessing. :confused:

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hey OutboardJim,<br /><br />You seem to hit it on the head. I was working on the Motor and now at idle it goes up to 200 degrees. The port side head is getting hot and the right side head is cool. They butchered up the motor. They have automotive temp sender bolted to the outside of the port head that makes contact with the head with a wire that leads to the temp gauge. The temp switch looks like it is disconnected. What a disaster.The water comes out cool though. Why would it not come out hot if the head is hot? I tried to test the sender with a seperate wire in a pot of hot water but it wont read unless its bolted to the motor.Maybe it needs to be grounded? The higher I rev it the more water flow form the tell tale. Do you think the thermostat in that head is hanging up?<br /><br /> Joe

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you just bought the boat you should do the waterpump and T-stats whether you think they need it or not. Also consider pulling the heads to clean the salt water crud out of the water passages and while you are at it replace the deflectors.<br /><br />I am working the same problem on one of my 1987 OMC V4's right now. I am also trying to check the timing in the water (not on the trailer). I had my VRO removed some years ago as I wanted one less system to deal with.

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Solittle,<br /><br />Yes, I am a Preventive maintenance kind of person and I strongly beleive in replacing parts that will break down on me while I am offshore in the Gulf. I will replace these parts. I bought a manual today and it looks like the thermostats are located at the bottom of the motor in between the heads. Like a V shaped housing with 2 hose ports. Also, what about the deflectors? What they do? Location, etc. Timing huh? I beleive you have to do that wide open. Very challenging when your underway. :eek: Thanks for the info.

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Deflector are mounted in the block behind the head and keep the water flowing were its supposed to so you wont get hotspots where water boils instead of flows.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Flash..<br /><br />Couple things....replace the pump impeller. If you can see the water coming from the "pee" hole slowing up and getting faster with the engine rpms, that's a very good indicator that the impeller is getting weak.<br /><br />Replace both T-stats. Not a tough job. Make sure the bypass valves are seating and the springs are in good shape.<br /><br />You run in salt water? Do like solittle says and pull the heads and clean out the water passages. Wouldn't hurt to pull the head covers off either and clean the passages in there. Their small and tend to clog easily.<br /><br />Replace the water deflectors while you got the heads off. There are two in each head. They are rubber dowels that slip into slots in teh passages around the cylinders. <br /><br />After yer done, pack a chest full a' beer and find some fresh water to boat in for a while to help clean the salt outta the engine. Or just hook up muffs to the engine with a hose and set on the porch with the chest of beer and let her run a while on fresh water.<br /><br />Keep us posted. Thanks.

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys,<br /><br />Just wanted to give you an update on my progress. I went to my local OMC delaer and purchased all the gaskets, OMC water pump kit, Deflectors, Thermostats etc. I pulled off the thermostat housing and tested the corroded thermostats in a pot of hot water. Only one opened up at about 165 degrees and the other would not open up. Took off the heads and the head covers. I will tell you, I have never seen salt build up like this. It looks like the previous owner never flushed out the motor. I mean it was like cement inside the head covers. <br /><br />I had to put 2 helicoils( 1 in each head cover hole). I acid washed the heads and covers. They are clean as a whistle. I painted the outsides and are ready to go back on. <br /><br />I wanted to know if I can put a light coat inside of the Heads and covers with a water resistant grease? Or something to deter the salt from building up.<br /><br />Do you have any tips that I should know about installing a new Water Pump Kit? Gasket compound? <br /><br />You guys know your stuff when it comes to Outboards.I really enjoy working on my Motor. Well, I will let you know when I complete the job which will be before the weekend.Thanks.<br /><br /> Joe<br /><br />P.S. Looking foward to that cooler of Beer. :)

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys,<br /><br />Just finished the motor this evening. I wanted to get all the parts I needed at the OMC Dealer today. The motor runs cool at 180. I replaced the temp sender that mounts outside the head. My tempature sensors are working in both heads. I grounded them seperately and the warning buzzer sounded. The Water pumps real hard at idle from the new Water pump kit. I tell you that shift rod is a real pain in the a.. to connect under the powerhead. I painted and clearcoated the motor and it looks like a brand new 84 Johnson. Well Thanks for all the help on this subject. I am hoping to use the boat this weekend. I will have piece of mind when using my boat now. :D <br /><br /> Joe<br /><br />Keep them boats a shining. :)

ob

Admiral

180 sounds a bit warm to me.Anything above 165 is cause for concern.

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hi OB,<br /><br />Im sure the gauge is shot. It never goes down to zero when the key is off. Stays at 120. I can keep my fingers on top of the heads and count to 5. I have a Raytek infrared Temp gun on on its way to me. I will see what that sucker is running at. No more guessing.Thanks for the info. :)

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't mean to butt in.... but.. You still sound like you have a problem. You should be able to touch the head and leave it there for a long time. I have an infared gun and I read about 115 port side and 120 starboard. My water temp gauge will not move off 100 until I start running up in RPM's and only get to 120-140.<br /><br />Just trying to help :)

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh yea. on the temp gauge, if it's a mechanical gauge it will read temp with the key off.

kas

Cadet

Flash, Look into some stuff called Salt-Away it is on net at salt-away.com this stuff may do you some good. I run fresh water only and don't relay think I need it but read up on it. It may be like soooooo many other things and then it may be real good stuff. You be the judge. Good Luck Keith

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys,<br /><br />Update. I just got my Temp gun in and I checked the heads at idle. Port head reads 130-135 and Starboard Head reads 135-140. The stupid electronic Temp gauge stays at 180 at idle. I think I will yank that gauge out and replace it.I just replaced the sender.I will also try that salt away. Thanks for the help.<br /><br /> Joe