Evinrude 225 will not get up on plane?

mjworkman65

Cadet
I have a 1996 Evinrude 225 that will not get up on plane..The prop turns, rpm stays around 1000 but will not get up on plane..any suggestions? :eek:

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 225 will not get up on plane?

If i read your post right you are saying that you can only get 1000 rpms out of your moter you need more that that to plan out

mjworkman65

Cadet

I went fishing and had no problems with it all day until later on..I started the enging and the prop turned fine but, when I went to get up on plane it wouldn't plane out for me.. Did the Clutch go out on me..I have heard that there is a plastic piece that once it goes out completely the prop will not turn at all..could this be the problem?

ooootis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what u might be refering to in your last post is the rubber mount inside of the prop its there to avoid internal damage if the prop is struck. If this where wearing out you would see an increase in rpm sorta like a clutch in a car slipping. need more info to help you last post didnt mention anything bout RPM. First Check carb linkage to see if you are getting WOT.

mjworkman65

Cadet

I did bump something..probably a log..but not hard..I wasn't on plane..just idling up the river and the motor seemed fine..I got up on plane afterwards fine for a long time until late in the afternoon..I stopped and fished for awhile..then proceeded to check-in and it idled fine until i tried to plane out? Any suggestions :confused:

strocker383ca

Seaman

i'm sure that motor just run on 3 cyl check for spark plug failure or ignition problem

mjworkman65

Cadet

It's a V6 and only one wire was loose, but not off.

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Engine RPM and Propeller RPM are two diffrent things ..unless you have a Tach that reads propeller RPM which I have yet to see one. Sounds to me like you blew out the clutch on the prop or worse have a lowere unit problem . but I would not even consider that till I checked the prop clutch. You can check it to some extent by with the ENGINE OFF ... ENGINE OFF and battery disconnected and I disconnect the coils too ,put engine in gear and try to turn the propeller by hand. watch the prop nut does it turn when the prop does ?? it should ! If not ya gotta bad clutch. by the way turn the engine OFF!!

mjworkman65

Cadet

That's what I was thinking..I will check it out tonight when I get home.. Thanks :eek:

mjworkman65

Cadet

Okay I think that the clutch could be going out..but not to the full extent...I tried what you suggested and everything looked fine..I even started the motor and put it in gear and the prop turns faster as i increase throttle ...without dropping it in any water I couldn't tell if under pressure if it would plane out. :rolleyes:

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know .... most everyone has a spare prop.. Mine is one of those comprops (plastic) I dont know if they make them for HP as big as yours though but for 70 bucks its a nice thing to have

mjworkman65

Cadet

I've got a spare prop :) Think it the prop that went bad?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I don't think your problem is prop or clutch related if your description of "The prop turns, rpm stays around 1000" is accurate." Start by checking for spark and go from there.

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree that I dont think it is the prop. if 1000 rpm is all you can get.... can you use the fast idle and get it above that? Just a thought.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

MjWorkman65.... I've seen quite a few requests, in effect asking about the quoted 1000 rpm figure mentioned. I have not yet seen a reply to that implied question.<br /><br />Sooooo, In the water, when this problem arose, at FULL throttle.... what was the rpm indication?

mjworkman65

Cadet

The rpm's do go above 1000..think its the prop or clutch?