Hard shifting from fwd to neutral, 1993 175HP Johnson.

radchad

Recruit
Shifting used to be smooth, but now shifting from forward to neutral is very stiff using the single lever Morse control box. It works, but is definetely too stiff. It's been a problem since last season, but I'm not aware of anything that would have caused the problem.<br /><br />Should I be looking in the control box or at the engine end of the cables? Any tips on making needed adjustments? Both the control box and engine end of the cables are a pain to mess with, so I'd love some good advice before I start tinkering. <br /><br />THX!

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Hard shifting from fwd to neutral, 1993 175HP Johnson.

Inot sure if this engine has one, but check the shift switch, and wires, shift switch kills 3 cylinders for 1/2 second to allow gears to disconnect for easy shifting into neutral.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Also to add to clantons sound advice, disconnect the shift casing guide at the engine and run through the gears from the control box. If it's still hard or stiff, problem may be in control box or the control cable is getting old and wants to retire......like I do. :D <br /><br />Look at the cables for any splits in the outer casing that would let moisture enter into the inner core. Keep us posted.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

Friend had a simillar situation on his johnson.it ended up we pulled the cable out of the sleeve and did a good oil soaking.just got very gummy over the years.a pain to put cable back in too.