Converting transom mount to cable/foot pedals

colding01

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys! Just completed building my small 1-man boat and was wondering how to wire an old Minn Kota 30# transom mount to use with foot pedals in the boat. I think I can figure out the steering with no problems by cutting down the shaft and attaching a steer bar to the shaft to run the cables to the foot pedals. The question I have, is how should I do the wiring for the speed controls (it has a stick lever you twist left or right for variable speeds/reverse).<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Converting transom mount to cable/foot pedals

I'd put a momentary switch between the battery and the motor...something like a remote starter switch that can handle all the current, but sealed so it won't get wet...maybe encase it in epoxy. Then you could set the dial to the speed you wanted, and power it up by stepping on the switch.

colding01

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, but my electronics knowledge is low. So I'd put a switch between the battery and motor instead of directly to the battery. Can this switch be had from Radio Shack? Also, would that entail leaving the head on the TM to select the speed with the handle and just hit the momentary switch to allow power?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Right, cut the positive wire leading to the battery and connect the switch there. Foot-control trolling motors have a big dial on the pedal to dial in the speed, plus a switch like the one we're talking about...in your case I think unless you wanted to fabricate a dial you could operate with your foot and somehow incorporate it into your pedal, you could remove the speed control from the motor and move it to within reach, just splice in however much wire you need...or just leave it attached if you can reach it from where you're sitting.<br /><br />The switch I'm thinking of would come from an auto parts store - but it wouldn't be made for marine use - you'd have to come up with a way to keep it dry. Better yet, there's a switch on the market, called "bigfoot" or something like that, designed just for this purpose.<br /><br />Seems to me, the control cables are the hard part...I'm really impressed that you were able to work that out. sounds like a cool project...got any pics?

colding01

Seaman Apprentice

Waiting on my epoxy to arrive so I can glass the boat. I'll take pics this weekend and post 'em.<br /><br />I think I understand the switch deal, and thinking of how I can incorporate it into one of the pedals so I can operate it with a toe. Also, I would like to mount the speed dial to one side of me in the boat so I don't have to reach around for the tiller handle. Would I simply find a speed dial somewhere and wire it the way it's wired in the head of the unit? How would it know if I wanted 1-5 or one of the two reverse speeds? Or would I be better off getting a rheostat for that purpose?<br /><br />Thanks for all of your help!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

That's the one, rickd...I bet you could just screw it down on your pedal. That "continous on" feature would probably come in handy.<br /><br />I think I'd look into removing the speed control from the motor and relocating it if at all possible. I doubt if it's a rheostat...does it "click" from one speed to the next? Some trolling motors have more than one set of windings for the various speeds. You probably will have to dismantle it anyway to access the wiring.