Light Switch wiring

Sketch

Cadet
I just bought a used boat last week. 1983 Kingfisher 16' Deck Boat with an Evinrude 115HP outboard. When I met the guy to take a look at it, he had the center console taken apart trying to troubleshoot the horn. Turns out it was just a bad horn. Anyway, whe he rewired and put everything back together, he must have wired the light switch wrong. The first pull (second position) turns on gauge lights and pole light (on the back of boat) and the second pull (third position) turns off console lights and pole light but turns on navigation lights. I consider myself a pretty handy person. If someone could give me few pointers, I'm sure I could get that fixed in just a few minutes. Thanks!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Light Switch wiring

Just wire the anchor light to the second position by itself. Then wire everything(Dash, Anchor and running lights) to the 3rd position. You don't want you dash lights or anything else on with the anchor light...

Sketch

Cadet

so wire the anchor light to both the second and third position? a jumper? if i did that, wouldn't all the lights be on in either second or third position?

ricksrster

Commander

That's what I would think. That's why I recommend he switch in the above link.

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

I'm confused like always. So how should the sequence be? How do you want it?<br /><br />My understanding is you have a switch with 3 positions with two sets of normally open contacts. I take it in position 3, you want everything OFF?

ricksrster

Commander

On the pull type switch when it is pushed all the way in, everything is off. Pulled out to first click, the white light only comes on,. Pulled out to next click, everything comes on.

Sketch

Cadet

yes...this is what I want "On the pull type switch when it is pushed all the way in, everything is off. Pulled out to first click, the white light only comes on,. Pulled out to next click, everything comes on."

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

Sketch, You have a three position switch. You need a multi-meter to identify the contacts relative to the switch position. You can do it with the power connected. Place switch in position one. Test for voltage on the secondary side of the switch lead not the "feed" side. Once you find it, turn the switch on and off to make sure it corresponds to the position. Mark it. Repeat the process for second position. There you have it. Wire your devices to desire position. See drawing below<br /><br />
switch.jpg