Can a trolling motor push my 14 footer?

ScotBJ

Recruit
I've got an old 1968 14' Cassie Craft, and my engine is shot. I can't afford a new one, and wanted to know if there was a trolling motor that could get me around. Please let me know if this is a good or bad idea, and how much thrust I would need to buy. Thanks a bunch!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can a trolling motor push my 14 footer?

Hi, again, Scot.<br /><br />Why do you say your engine is shot? Just 2 days ago you were asking for fuel mix.<br /><br />What is the engine problem?<br /><br />Any electric troller will move your boat, the more you spend, the faster it will move.<br /><br />Let's fix your 35hp Johnny. It will probably cost less than a decent troller and a decent trolling battery, with charger, anyway.<br /><br />Let us know.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can a trolling motor push my 14 footer?

ScottBJ,<br /> Need more about your boat,how much you carry,how far you want to go, what kind of waters you cruise. <br /> Years ago I built a 71/2ft.X 4ft.punt for my<br />kids.We used a 15lb. thrust trolling motor in guiet waters on the St lawrence river.With just the kids it would go as fast as anyone would want to row for any great distance.We would put the whole family in it 340+ lbs And run along the shore to grammas house about a mile with no problems.Again about as fast as you would want to row that load that distance.Keep in mind that was <br /> was guiet waters close to shore and well defined distances.