dashboard ground

cddetelich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I posted several weeks ago about alarm beeping in dashboard of my Hydrasport. Turns out it was a low oil alarm, and I get easy instructions on how to disconnect.<br />Anyway, dealer told me to also check for bad ground, since I also have a light problem and fuel gauge problem. Lights worked and now don't (new bulbs), fuel gauge is erratic. Dealer said bad ground could cause all sorts of problems.<br />I see a wire attached to top metal section of gas fill hose-just dangling. I assume this is a ground wire for preventing sparks? Also see a flat metal wire just dangling from dash. Dash ground? Any suggestions for hooking these up properly? How about other grounds? Could this have been cause of low oil alarm all along?<br />Again, thanks for all your help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: dashboard ground

There should only be one dash ground. Gauges and switches are generally "daisy-chained" so one ground wire comes from the wire harness or fuse block ground buss to the first device in line. A jumper goes to the next and the next and so on. If the ground is loose, current will find an alternate way back to the battery and that is what usually creates the freaky behavior. Tighten all connections, make sure the ground is good and the problem should go away.