Impact of adding a subwoofer

catfan95

Cadet
I have a 19' boat with a Mercruiser 4.3L V6. The altenator is a 70 amp. Currently I have one marine deep cycle battery running everything in the boat. This week I added a 10" sub powered by an amp which also powers a set of rear speakers. We do alot of tubing and boarding and the boat is running. We also anchor for 30-45 minutes at a time to swim and usually have radio on. My questions are:<br />1. What impact is the sub going to have on my battery (I am carrying a portable jump start in case I kill the battery).<br />2. If I need to add a second battery with isolator/combiner can I just run a hot wire from the accessory battery to the head unit and amp and leave everything else alone (bilge, blower, lights all run off starting battery)? There is little to no risk these items could drain battery due to low draw.<br />I am looking for a cheap solution that provides some protection.<br />Also, anyone have any idea what a stereo shop would charge to do this setup?<br />Thanks

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Impact of adding a subwoofer

The only impact I can see is someone wanting to throw you into the water after whipping you A&s for making so much noise on the water.<br /><br />Other than that I cant help you.<br /><br />Sorry, I just couldnt resist, I hate stereos on the water.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Bassin' Fever AKA LubeDude:<br /> The only impact I can see is someone wanting to throw you into the water after whipping you A&s for making so much noise on the water.<br /><br />Other than that I cant help you.<br /><br />Sorry, I just couldnt resist, I hate stereos on the water.
I couldn't agree more if my life depended on it.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree also. Why do you need a 70 amp subwoofer to here music on a 19 foot boat. If you really want to upset the people haveing a nice quite cruse on the water Get a 200 amp and mount it on a PWC.<br /><br />Think about the other around you, You really think they want to here your stereo.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Gotta have tunes on the Water....Rock On!!!!!!!

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

For question #1 You should be OK having the deep cycle (is it a comb start/deep cycle)? Nice to have the portable jump start just in case.<br />Question # 2 Yes this would work fine but you may also want to wire in a battery switch so that you could use the accessory battery to assist with starting if necessary.

catfan95

Cadet

Originally posted by Boatist:<br /> I agree also. Why do you need a 70 amp subwoofer to here music on a 19 foot boat. If you really want to upset the people haveing a nice quite cruse on the water Get a 200 amp and mount it on a PWC.<br /><br />Think about the other around you, You really think they want to here your stereo.

catfan95

Cadet

First off, I appreciate the last posters help. For the rest of you the question was around how to set up my system not if you approve. I like to listen to clear music at a moderate volume on my boat. You all complain about the loud boats but I would rather have someone blaring the radio then chuging beer all day and driving like an *** (this seems to happen alot). Also to further **** you off it is not a 70 amp sub, it is a 70 amp altenator with a 1000 watt amp and a 1250 watt sub. So if I want I can kill fish with the bass beats (doen't even require a fishing license.)

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should be VERY safe anchoring in a quiet cove for up to 8 hours without any fear of not starting your engine. You shouldn't even bring the extra battery along. :p

vipzach

Lieutenant

Catfan95, The guys gripe because there are alot of inconsiderate people that are on the water, wether it is careless riding of a pwc, a loud stereo or a drunk a$$ boater. With that being said, I also have a 1200 watt amp and Kicker speakers and sub on my boat. I have a seperate battery (group 27) that runs the stereo and amp only. I bought an isolator/combiner at bass pro that charges both batteries after the primary battery is full. It was extremely easy to install and I don't have to worry about a dead starting battery. <br /><br />Listen to your new stereo responsibly and respect your fellow boaters and we can all get along just fine.

waterinthefuel

Commander

This post brings up an interesting point in my opinion. Alot of interesting points. <br /><br />1. Most of us go out on the water to get away from the noise of city life.<br /><br />2. You come into a boating forum and ask a very logical, good question. Problem is....your sub will annoy almost every boater on the water.<br /><br />3. It's almost like asking someone to help you break the law.....you are probably on your own. Helping you make your boat as loud and obnoxious as possible isn't something we will readily do here at Iboats. I've been to a beach where they were blasting loud music from a boat similar to yours. Flat out ruined the outing. <br /><br />No help from this peanut gallery for sure. I know you didn't ask if we approved, and it's not for us to approve or disapprove, but who needs a sub in a boat designed to be used in a peaceful environment? <br /><br />I sure hope I don't come across as catching an attitude. I really didn't mean to. Your post brought up some interesting and unique points, I'm glad you posted it.

catfan95

Cadet

I find it very funny that it is assumed that:<br />1. Adding a sub means playing music loud around others. Adding a sub for me is for clarity of sound while pulling the kids around on tubes an such. I would never think to pull up to a beach and impose my music choices on others.<br />2. That boating is a "peaceful" experience. I usually have a boatful of kids and my trips are anything but peaceful. I am just the chauffeur for them on the water. The music helps me relax and enjoy the hours on the water. Also, why do all boats (runabouts, ski boats, etc..) come with radios if boating is supposed to be done in a quite steril manner.<br /><br />I don't mind other giving their point of view as long as they are willing to listen to others. Boating means different things to different people. Some like to anchor up and relax. Some like watersports. Some like to wavejump. I don't criticize the boater who anchors up to relax right in the middle of the only calm piece of water to tube in. I find this very annoying, probably not unlike he finds my music annoying. <br /><br />I guess my main point of this rambling is that I can appreciate the points of view expressed by why clutter my post with your criticisms of how I chose to spend my time. If you have help for me on my question then please post and I thank you. If you are opposed to music on the water then move on to the next post where you may be able to help someone. I am sure there is a post somewhere titled "Loud Music or Serenity? Which do you prefer and why". This is not that post.

magster65

Commander

Relax you guys, give catfan 95 a break. Has he offended any of you? Not likely but you've labeled him as an inconsiderate fella' without even having met. Maybe he only turns up the stereo when you old farts don't have your hearing aids in (I'm kidding)! I have kick-a$$ tunes in my boat too but I don't offend the people around me. I just mean that people can have a loud stereo and still be considerate.<br />Anyways...<br />With most high power units they start to 'cut out' on the big bass hits as they lose voltage so this'll be an indication. Experiment a bit in your driveway to see how long the battery lasts. At 1000 watts it won't be long :) <br />My duddy's 4000 watt Clarion was good for about 1/2 hour (tops) before he needed a jump start. Nobody would give him one :) <br />I'd put a switchable spare battery on board to be safe.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by magster65:<br />Has he offended any of you?
No, but plenty of people just like him have. 2250 watts is about 2000 more than you need to relax. The only reason to have that high of wattage is to listen loudly. I like loud music probably more than anyone here...as I type the music is so loud a picture just fell off my wall. The only bass I want to hear at the lake; however, is swimming below me...<br /><br />You guys all know how well audio travels over water. Even a moderate volume pisses off everybody for hundreds of yards that doesn't want to hear your music. If you were in fact listening as quietly as you claim to, you wouldn't be worried about running your battery dead. 2000 watts is not quiet no matter what.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Catfan, you have come to a tent meeting of revivalists to ask how to pick up underage girls.<br /><br />First, like most of the above, my music on the water is provided exclusively by the environment. . . slap of water on the hull, sound of a surface strike by moby musky, gulls, eagles, etc. etc. I would be grossly annoyed by loud music.<br /><br />Like you, I would also be grossly annoyed by loud, obnoxious drunks, undisciplined PWCs, etc.<br /><br />That's why I am VERY choosy about where and when I go on the water.<br /><br />Your 1000 watt amp is going to draw 85-100 amps. To keep it going for a couple of hours with the engine off you will need about 3 group 31 deep cycle batteries, aside from your starting battery.<br /><br />Same problem early users of obscene amounts of audio power in motor skates had.<br /><br />Good luck, and please stay away from my fishing holes.

nagasama

Cadet

actually,<br />wattage is used for clarity, not neccessarily loudness.<br />to each his own, i say.<br />i live in a summer town with numerous lakes and a great river. so each summer, i have to listen to crappy music played way too loud. i have a cd player with four speakers that works fine for me and doesn't annoy the peaceful fisherman.<br />of course, he does get annoyed when i do a 360 over the top of his boat. just kiddin'. but, music does help some of us relax and enjoy our experience on the water.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by nagasama:<br />i have a cd player with four speakers that works fine for me and doesn't annoy the peaceful fisherman.
It is important to note the difference between a "CD player with four speakers" and a 2250 watt stereo system with subs. One you use to relax at the lake, the other you use to make yourself look like an ***hole.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Most of the time I find this to be an excellent forum with the sharing of experience and many terific ideas from people with a genuine desire to help others but when someone like catfan comes in with a question like his so many just offer their own opinion with no value or help to the poster. Just because he wants to upgrade his sound system doesn't automatically make him an a$$hole, is everyone out there with a Seadoo an a$$hole? No but there a few and those few give the majority a bad rep, same thing goes for the offshores around me, there are a few that seem to like to pull into an anchorage and let their boat idle for 15 or 20 mins (no silent choice) just to make sure everyone around can hear their noisy engines. I would prefer to give catfan the benefit of the doubt and hope that he will use the system with consideration to others. Maybe this board needs an audio section where people could post questions like this without being chastised. Some of the comments in here are actually funny, someone decided to add the amp wattage together with the speaker rating and now all of a sudden it's a monster 2250 watt system :eek: and the 1000 watt amp, that is just a music power rating (not even RMS) so it's not actually drawing 1000 watts of power from the battery so it doesn't 3 group 31's to run for a couple of hours. Just my 2 cents worth, not intended to offend anyone and if it does I apologise in advance.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Needs the extra power for "clarity", hmmm? More like his hearing has been damaged already and needs to be louder so he can hear it. Then again, maybe he's misguided into thinking that SPL is the standard for clarity. Probably plays MP3's through it even though the fidelity of MP3 is much like AM radio. But hey, he's got a thousand songs on his ipod! So much for the clarity argument.<br /><br />50 watts/channel with QUALITY (the key) speakers and a 100W sub would sound just as sweet without disturbing the neighborhood. Battery would last a lot longer too!<br /><br />CD

magster65

Commander

Let me get this straight then. Really, I think I'm learning something new here... everyone with a good stereo is inconsiderate sort of like everyone with a Corvette is a speeder and everyone on a motorcycle is a biker? <br />Good to know<br /> :rolleyes: