windlass switch problem

jhynes

Recruit
Hi,<br /><br />I have a 2001 Sea Ray Sundancer 280. Last year at the end of the season the switch that activated the windlass was stuck on (allowing the other two switches: up/down to be used). That was annoying but not really a problem. Now, however, the switch is stuck off, keeping me from using my electric windlass. I was told that the instrument panel for the 2001 Sea Ray has only two wires going from it to every part on the boat that is wired to it, and some sort of encoding controls the devices it is hooked to. Therefor it is impossible to troubleshoot and the only hope is ordering an entire new instrument panel for $800 to see if that fixes the problem. Anyone know if this is true? Anyone have any experience removing the panel so I could discover if the switch is merely sticking? My electric windlass has no foot pedals so it's unusable if I can't use it from the helm instrument/switch panel.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for the advice!

D

DJ

Re: windlass switch problem

I have a hard time believing the "encoding", whatever that is. I don't think Sea Ray is that sophisticated.<br /><br />Can you get access to the switch from behind the panel? If so, remove it. It's easy enough to bench check using an ohm meter.

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

Searay280, how many switches do you have total that activate the windlass? If the switch stuck, can't you just replace the switch?<br /><br />There is nothing to trouble shoot really. What you got there, based on your information is an ON/OFF switch physically stuck in the OFF position. We can't assume anything beyond replacing the switch first.<br /><br />As far as encoding thing you're referring to, I doubt it. Adding that kind a feature to the function of a windlass is not economical. The only thing closest to that is a set of limit switches built into the windlass housing which turns off the motor when the chain is fully retracted.

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

This is probably what you have. <br /><br />
limit.png