Electrical problem with boat

dwiggmd

Cadet
I was checking the switches on my dash,and found running lights would not turn on, nor radio. when bilge switch turned on, the bilge then would not turn off even with the switch in the off position. I needed to disconnect the battery - even the battery cutoff switch in the off position would not kill the bilge. Next, trying to restart the boat, I got nothing except the starter spinning but not engaging. The tilt trim motor - nothing.<br /><br />Is this a ground problem, a starter problem, or something else? please help.

dwiggmd

Cadet
Re: Electrical problem with boat

Also, boat started just fine and was running well just before this episode. boat is sea ray laguna 24 cuddy with rebuilt 200 merc outboard.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The bilge pump is generally wired directly to the battery so the battery switch would not cut it off. (Thats a good thing since if your boat sprung a leak with the battery switch off it go to Davey Jone's Locker). The boat may have a float switch that turns the pump on automatically. As for the other problems, check for a bad ground. Also check (remove and clean) both ends of the battery cables. Check for corrosion at the terminals where the cable enters. Replace the ends or the entire cable if necessary. Low current to the starter causes it to spin slow and hence the bendix can't rise.

dwiggmd

Cadet

Thanks - I'll try all that in the AM! There is no water in the bilge area, but perhaps the float switch is stuck open. I'll also check the leads again- I cleaned them today without much result, and will check all the ground wires - all the switches involved are in series, so perhaps one connection came loose causing the sudden loss of all of them<br /><br />Dave

dwiggmd

Cadet

Bilge pump was stuck in on position. This must have been a red herring. Battery charged. Leads cleaned wires run (can't find any problems)Still have problem od starter spinning, but not enough to engage bendix. Also tilt/trim not working at all.

dwiggmd

Cadet

Repair guy says it is a starter problem, starter sapping all the voltage. I hope this helps others with similar problems