Humming bird transducer wire cut. Can I solder?

DrinkingEmu

Cadet
The transom mount transducer has a cut wire. Inside the wire it sort of looks like coaxial cable. Can I simply solder the center copper together and wrap some elect tape with shrink wrap?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Humming bird transducer wire cut. Can I solder?

All you can do is try it. Some say it will work, others say no.....Worth a try before you buy a new one...

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just did one from a hummigbird, so far it works like it should. Make sure the outside mesh has a good conection, I used shrink wrap to finish it off.<br /><br /> Jim

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The transducer cable is shielded meaning it has some sort of solid (aluminim foil-like or stranded copper) wrap around the two wires. Strip enough of the outer shell back so you can repair the wire. Use heat shrink tubing to cover the splice. Then wrap the two wires with shielding that you pulled from some other cable, or just use a piece of aluminum foil wrapped tightly around the repair. Make sure it provides a continuous path for the existing shield. Then cover the entire repair with electrical tape. Heat shrink would work best but since the other wire is not damaged you can't install it.

woodduck17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heat shrink and tape are good, but a good coating of Liquid Tape on top of all of it is one more layer of protection.