Onboard Charger Question

kap1492

Cadet
Hey guys, I got a question about a new charging idea I came up with, here it goes... I would really like to get an onboard charger for my boat, but my problem is that I store my boat in my back yard witch is about 40 yards from my house or any eletrical outlet for that matter. From what I have read, onboard is the way to go b/c it charges and maintain a constant charge for optimal battery life. I was thinking about purchasing a onboard charger but mounting it to a wood storage area that will also serve as a rack for my battery in my garage. Thus taking the "onboard" out of the equasion, hahaha...Is this logical?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Onboard Charger Question

An 'onboard' charger is a waterproof smart charger.<br /><br />If you are using it in your garage, you don't need it to be waterproof.<br /><br />Just buy a smart charger.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, you can do that. When I replaced the on-board charger in my boat, I moved the old on-board charger to my garage. It works well.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

It would be muck cheaper to just buy a regular charger for that application, just get a smart charger like Dunaruna said.