Solar bilge pump

dgbldr

Recruit
Does anyone know of a small bilge pump with integral float switch that either comes with a solar panel or can be used with a small external panel? <br />I need a pump that can be left on a boat deck so that it pumps water out after the rain. Pump capacity can be as little as 10 gph and no need for a battery, but if it comes with a battery that's fine too. <br />Thanks for any leads.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Solar bilge pump

Solar panels are not typically used to power devices directly as there is an output problem -- they simply don't have the power to do so. They do however, work well at keeping a battery topped off. So add a small battery, inexpensive solar panel the smallest pump you think will do the job. With no battery, what happens if it needs to pump at night?

18rabbit

Captain

To do it right may be a little more involved than just a panel and battery added to a bilge pump. You may need voltage regulation for the panel and something to keep the moon from sucking the juice out of your battery. Ok, the moon doesn’t really suck up the juice but a panel will allow current to be pulled out of the battery whenever it isn’t putting current in, so you need some way of regulating/preventing that as well. Could be part of the voltage regulation scheme.<br /><br />In a nutshell, small homemade solar systems aren’t necessarily cost effective. But if you need power and AC isn’t available, solar is the way to go. You might want to read the West Advisor on marine solar on the West Marine website. Go to West Marine dot com, click on Product Advice, then click on West Advisor. From the West Advisor web page, under Electrical is the Solar Panels advisor with info on when/how regulation of solar panels is done.<br /><br />Oh, and btw, welcome to the iboats forums. :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Most solar panels have a protection diode to prevent reverse current flow. A small panel will not require regulation either. I have one in the window of my shed to keep the tractor battery topped off. It works great.

darcyxz

Recruit

Check out SolarBILGEBUDDY.COM self contained fully automatic portable bilge pump,12v power source and built in led light.Works great.limited time introductory price $179
solar bilge pump

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I did forget to mention that solar panels are targets for thieves. Depending on how protected the boat is, the panel may not last more than a day or two before it goes "walk about".