Midland Handheld VHF- Carp?

QC

Supreme Mariner
What's the story on these? I am seeing them for around $50. Seems like you could afford to stash one for an emergency and use as a back-up. Maybe they're OK for a primary unit for all I know. . . .<br /><br />
e2_1_b.JPG

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Midland Handheld VHF- Carp?

When I see a misleading add like that I take them off my list. Most fixed mount 25 watt VHF radios with a 8 foot 6DB antenna will not make a 14 mile range boat to boat.<br /><br />Do not expect over 2 miles boat to boat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Boatist. Yes, I hate carp like that too. Theoretically though a 5 watt handheld is a 5 watt handheld, right? It should do as well as other handhelds and with a fixed antenna connected it shoud work as well as other 5 watt radios wired to that same antenna? It's pretty hard to biotch about them at $50 . . .

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

It's pretty hard to biotch about them at $50 . . .<br /><br />True enough ... up to the time you need it and find out it ain't worth squat!

waterinthefuel

Commander

I bought a pair of those Cobra GMRS/FRS radios, with a claim of up to 8 miles of range. When used in dense vegetation I get about 1/2 mile tops. Even open water only yeilds me about 2 miles, I have no idea where they get 8 from.

KaGee

Admiral

I don't know why the USCG allows these things to be sold. They are misleading at best. If I am in trouble, I want my full 25 watts!<br /><br />Misleading too, is the fact that marine channels are often not monitored by authorities on a lot of the inland lakes.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

QC<br />Yes you will get more range if you hook it up to a good antenna but still not 14 miles. Many of the cheap units like that may not have a way to connect to another antenna.<br /><br />I always think the first VHF on any boat should be a fixed mount with 25 watts. A good quality water proff hand held does have a place on a boat. A good place would be in your emergency survival raft in case you find your boat sinking or upside down and you need to abandon ship. In this case you want the best radio you can get.

Dunaruna

Admiral

There is an asterix next to the claim of "Up to 14 mls range". Maybe if you climb the nearest mountain, stand on one leg and hold your tongue slightly out (to the left) - you'll get 14 mls.

Moody Blue

Captain

I'm curious about the wattage ratings. These small units probably use only 2 or 4 AA batteries. 5 watts at 6V requires 0.83A or 1.6A @ 3V. How long can those batteries last?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I do not know this radio but some use 10 rechargable batteries for 12 vots.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's a five watt hand held....we know what these are for and the price is right. Not a bad deal for what it is.....for sure not a replacement for a ships radio.