Motorguide trolling going on and off

KH

Recruit
I have a 1996 52LB Motorguide(Hyper Drive F52V model) bow mounted trolling motor with foot control.<br /><br />When I run it will go on and off. It will run then stop in any setting. When stopped and the power still to it there will be a clicking sound at the head where the wire harness goes in. Then for no reason it will start again and the clicking sound goes away. Unfortunately it happens very frequently when I am using it. I checked for loose wires at the foot control. Maybe there is a relay in the head making the clicking that has gone bad?<br />Any help what to look for/replace or who to talk to would be appreciated? It is putting a crimp into the fishing.<br />Thanks,<br />Work Release

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motorguide trolling going on and off

You are probably hearing a circuit breaker. Something is causing the motor to draw too much current -- the breaker trips to prevent burn out, and when it cools, starts up again. With the motor turned off, spin the prop by hand. If it turns hard the motor bearings are tightening up or perhaps have some fish line tangled behind the prop.

KH

Recruit

Upinsmoke,<br />Thanks for your reply.<br />The prop moves freely with no obstructions.<br />The clicking sound appears to be coming from a relay in the head. I will also look for a circuit breaker.<br />Work Release

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You may be correct about hearing a relay. Check the positive lead at the battery. Typically a circuit breaker installed there. What may be happening is that breaker is tripping. When it opens, you hear the relay click in the head. When the breaker closes again you again hear the relay when it activates. Circuit breakers do derate over time. Each time they cycle they lose a little bit of their current carrying capacity. They eventually reach a point where they can no longer handle their rated current. Check for loose connections at the breaker and at the battery terminals. Use a pliers to tighten the wing nuts and make sure the connections are shiny clean. Try replacing the breaker -- they are cheap.