Trolling Motor Suggestions - Lund 18' Mr. Pike

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer
I looked at many of the trolling motor threads but find conflicting information so I thought I'd post a new thread. <br /><br />I'm looking for suggestions about which bow mount trolling motor to buy for my 1983 Lund Mr. Pike 18' fishing boat. Price is a distinct consideration, but I don't want to under-buy either. <br /><br />I will use the motor to position and move the boat short distances rather than to actually troll as most do I suppose. I prefer the hand-controlled motors to those that are foot operated and I'd prefer to stay with 12v unless there's some overwhelming reason to go bigger. The boat is used primarily for day trips so battery life isn't foremost on my list of priorities.<br /><br />How do I determine the proper shaft length? I assume I measure from the mount to the water's surface but is there some formula for determining how much longer to go to account for choppy water etc? <br /><br />How much thrust is necessary for this boat given the way I'll be using it?<br /><br />What else do I need to consider?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for your help.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trolling Motor Suggestions - Lund 18' Mr. Pike

Personally I really like Minn Kotas and have had good experiences with them. I have had some problems with durability in Motor Guides but I think they are generally good motors too, its really a matter of personal preference.<br /><br />I would think that the highest thrust you can get from a 12 volt is around 54lbs. and that might not be enough for your 18 footer, especially in wind. I would try to get a 24 volt if you can afford it, you will get more power and longer run times compared to a 12 volt. A high thrust 12 volt might only last 3-4 hours, but a 24 volt could last all day even in strong wind.<br /><br />In terms of shaft length I would measure the distance between the bow of your boat and the water, then add 9-12 inches. <br /><br />If you are really concerned with price you could check for a used one on ebay, sometimes they have good deals on newer motors in good condition.<br /><br />Good luck in your search. :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any of the MinnKotas with the maximizer makes a very battery friendly motor. 55# is the largest you will find in a 12V and that will work fine on your 18 unless, as was mentioned, you fish in verrrry windy conditions. Even then, if you are position fishing you do not use full power. I have a 55Power Drive on my 17 footer and routinely fish all day long (two of us plus gear) with no shortage of power.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice and resources. I've been looking on ebay, but I'm not ready to buy yet. There aren't many bow-mount hand control models around it appears. Could mean I might get one cheaper since they're apparently not very popular, but harder to find. <br /><br />Thanks again.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I changed my mind - I like the Minn Kota Powerdrive line. The kids like to fish from the raised front and rear decks (keeping them at opposite ends of the boat is always a good idea) but I need to run the motor. That leaves me two options, one being the remote control feature and the other being the 18' corded foot control for the Powerdrive models. I'll start with the foot control and can buy the remote for the Powerdrive if I don't like that. Either way I can run the motor from anywhere in the boat.<br /><br />Thanks again for the advice.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Terry. I too like the hand operated ones but I didnt know you could actually get them for the bow. I own 17' foot D/C boat with a 50 pound Minn Lota motor and, as was previously suggested, it is sufficiently adequate for maneuvering and plenty fine for fishing a shoreline which is what I use mine for primarily. Although, it doesn't compare to the 29 pound Motor Guide I used to have on my 14 foot boat. Then again there was about a 5 fold difference in weight between the two boats. I also like how 'tough' the Minn Kota is built. <br />You actually get used to using your foot but I still would prefer using my hand for quick adjustments. In six years, I still haven't developed the coordination for adjusting the speed with my foot either. I can tell you too, if this was a cable foot control instead of the electric one, I probably wouldnt even use the troller. I know most anglers prefer the quick response of a direct cable connection but I cant stand the feel of it much less the lack of versitility with the short cord. Last year, I bought the remote feature for the motor. I held off for an entire year until I saved up enough X-mas money for what I considered to be a purely unnecessary 'toy'. I only wish I had bought it a year earlier! I haven't used the foot pedal since. It is so easy, so accurate and so much 'fun' to use. Well worth the money - I highly recommend this extra. Good luck.

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Terry,<br /><br />I had the same delima choosing a trolling motor. I was considering the powerdrive. I wanted to get the co-pilot and a removable mount. When I added up all the extra costs the Motorguide was alot cheaper. <br /><br />I went with the new Motorguide Wireless. It is basically a knock off of the powerdrive only it is wireless. It comes with a wireless foot pedal so you won't have the long cord running all over the boat. The cord could be a trip hazard. Also if you do want a wireless hand remote it is only a $55 option. If you want the co-pilot it costs alot more. The motor also comes with a quik release mount.<br /><br />The only problem is you will have to buy new. They just came out this year. Here is a link to it. http://www.motorguide.com/index.pl/wireless_series2

walleyehed

Admiral

If you've ever run Both remote, and cable for any length of time, you will never go back to remote.<br />With cable, the pedal becomes your reference as to where it's pointed, with remote, you have no clue until you depress the button-not real good if you happen to be standing up and didn't notice the indicator move because you barely touched the pedal.<br />If your fishing tight and want precision control, hand-steer or cable is the only choice.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> If you've ever run Both remote, and cable for any length of time, you will never go back to remote.<br />
You kind of lost me with that one. I look at my motor - it's pointing 'that way', thence, I know which way it's going to go. And I can be at the back of the boat when I do it.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Most of the powered direction controls I've seen do not actually move the "head". Rather, a circular insert with a red arrow moves and you can't tell the direction unless you're looking down at the motor head.<br /><br />I went from electric drive to cable and hated it initially. The primary benefit I find is the speed at which I can swing the boat around an obstacle. The main drawback is the height of the pedal which can be uncomfortable while standing.

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Mr. Big stuff. The head does move on my Motorguide and all the Powerdrives. Atleast the newer ones. The circular insert is usually only on cable driven foot controls.<br /><br />I agree cable driven foot control is the most accurate to control if you have the deck space. I just prefered not to always have a large pedal up front. I don't plan on using the trolling motor alot. I had a very hard time choosing between this motor and a bow mount hand control. I personally don't have any experience with bow mount trolling motors, just from what I've read and talked to others about. I will just have to see how it goes. <br /><br />If you don't mind the pedal and cable up front. I would agree it is the way to go. Just look at all the professional angler's boats. Most if not all will have a cable controlled foot pedal.<br /><br />Jay

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I appreciate the replies - I was looking at the Power Drive and the comparable Motorguide mentioned. I like the customer support guys with Minn Kota motors report - but I also like that feature for feature the motorguide is considerably less expensive. I've been watching ebay but finding no GREAT deals there. I did find one that is listed as pickup only and about 20 miles from me that will sell at a good price - but it's a 24 volt and hand steer so I'll need two batteries and give up on the idea of running the motor from the middle of the boat. <br /><br />I'm thinking that money saved will soon be forgotten but buying something other than what I really want will be remembered every time I'm on the water. For a couple hundred dollars more I can get not only the one I want but brand new. That seems to be the way to go so now it's time to decide between the Minn Kota and the Motorguide. <br /><br />Thanks again for the advice.

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Terry,<br /><br />Your post sounds like I was writing it. I spent endless hours on my computer trying to find a good deal on a trolling motor. My girlfriend finally told me just buy the thing, You know you want it. So I went and got it. I felt so relieved when I bought it. It was more than I wanted to spend but hey it is brand new and will hopefully last a long time and it is what I wanted. I did not have to comprimise to save a bit of money. I say a bit because $200 over years of use is not that much. Sometimes I wonder why I waste so much time trying to save a dollar. I wonder if it is really worth it. I justify it by breaking it down by how much a year it costs you. If it last 10 years. That is only $20 a year. Not very much for something that you want.<br /><br />One more thought. You may get a good deal on the 24 volt. Just remember you have to buy 2 batteries which makes it not such a good deal in the end.<br /><br />Good Luck, Jay

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I ended up buying the Minn Kota Power Drive, 12V, 55#, 54" shaft. I shopped the comparable Motorguide but there were just too many factors in favor of the Minn Kota to buy the Motorguide. Chief among them was the great things I've been hearing about quality, reliability, customer support, and local access for repairs and service. Other factors are the belief that it's a better product - although there were some things that I liked better about the Motorguide.<br /><br />As a bonus I bought it during the grand opening of the new Gander Mountain store in Blaine, MN. They had all of the Minn Kotas discounted $20.00 ($459.00 for this one) and a 10% discount for newly established credit accounts so I couldn't beat the price. <br /><br />I really did like the Motorguide and I don't think a guy could go wrong buying either. I had my mind made up on the Motorguide until we got to the store where we talked with not only the Minn Kota sales rep. (I know - he's paid to sell me the Minn Kota) and a couple of other customers who offered their opinions after we walked away from the sales rep. <br /><br />The install was pretty straight forward but because I'm so picky I rigged it a couple of ways until I had it the way I like it. I'll shop ebay for the co-pilot but I just couldn't swallow the price buying the motor equipped with it all at once. We'll see what kind of deals I can find. <br /><br />My boat project is pretty much done - just have to update my shareproject page with the finished photos and get on the water. We had the boat out the other night and did well in the shallows catching the first of the sunfish that have moved up for pre-spawn. The trolling motor will be great for moving around rather than tilting the big one up and starting to move repeatedly. I have a couple weeks off starting next weekend and I'll get out as much as possible. <br /><br />Thanks again for the advice. I'm feeling good about my decision which is precisely why I research a purchase like this first.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Well...<br /><br />I broke my leg playing hockey so it will be a while until I get the boat out to try out the new trolling motor. The copilot feature is looking very attractive to a guy who's going to spend most of the summer with a cast on his leg. <br /><br />Rats!

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, sorry to hear about your leg. It just had to happen in summer too. <br />You could always put the pedal on your lap and use it like a hand control. LOL.<br />Hope your leg heals alright.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I should have bought the copilot option - had one in my hand at the store last Saturday but changed my mind. I'll add it now for sure but my problem will be getting the boat launched and loaded. <br /><br />Once I have surgery to repair the leg I'll have a better idea just how limited my summer will be. There are a series of tests they've been running this week before they make the repair so I won't have surgery until next Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime I'm in a splint and living with a profoundly broken leg - I'm waiting to wake up from this nightmare but the pain has been too real for this to be a bad dream. <br /><br />These things always happen to someone else - it's my turn to be someone else this time.