Wires get hot when there is power connected.

NeWcS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just picked up my new boat this past weekend. A 2001 Monark King 160sc. It came with an older lowrance. I wanted to add my newer Humminbird Matrix 27. So after a few hours of unscrewing all sorts of stuff I got the Transducer wire and power wire ran. The power wire I hooked upto the cranking battery. The problem is when I hook the wire upto the battery the wires start to get REALLY, REALLY hot after just a few seconds. Im not sure if during the wireing I got a short somewhere or what. Does anyone know what could be causing this?<br /><br />Thank you!!!<br /><br /><br />-Jay

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wires get hot when there is power connected.

It's a short for sure, Jay. Maybe in the wiring, maybe in your unit.<br /><br />What Lowrance did it have and what have you done with it?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Remove your new Bird unit and plug your wires in again. If no heat; return the unit to vendor. If heat continues, you got a hot tied to a ground somewhere; could have been the wrong lug to lug wiring, could be a wire chafing on metal that is grouned, or could be wire to wire shorts where the insulation is chafed off, could be a mounting screw that went thru your hot lead.<br /><br />Mark

NeWcS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think im going to pull the wire out and try from scratch.<br /><br />The older unit is a lowrance x49. Not sure what im going to do with it.<br /><br /><br />-Jay