80 Johnson 35HP 3Z59U8 Ignition Wiring at starter switch

781ZYGOTE781

Recruit
Hi Guys,<br /><br />I really hope you can help me here. I bought a cheap boat/outboard from a fiend ( well, I hope he is still a friend after all this! ).<br /><br />Anyway, his kids played around in the boat, and pulled the wireing from the starter switch.<br /><br />The switch is circular. It has a OFF and START position. You insert the key, and turn right to start. When turning off, you simply switch back to the OFF position. On the rear of the switch, are 6 places to attach wires. One of these is a screw-in type, and has a yellow/Black stripped wire attached.<br /><br />The other wires from the outboard/battery are disconnected. Could someone possibly tell me what goes where.<br /><br />The remaining terminals on the starter are labelled C, S, A, W, and B<br /><br />The remaining wires are coloured Red ( fairly thick one ), Yellow, Purple/White, Black, Light/Blue<br /><br />Any help would be much appreciated. If I could buy you a virtual beer, I'd be happy to. If no one can help me with the actual wiring, is there a way I can tell what goes where with a circuit tester, etc ?<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Lance

mrjams

Cadet
Re: 80 Johnson 35HP 3Z59U8 Ignition Wiring at starter switch

Originally posted by 781ZYGOTE781:<br /> Hi Guys,<br /><br />I really hope you can help me here. I bought a cheap boat/outboard from a fiend ( well, I hope he is still a friend after all this! ).<br /><br />Anyway, his kids played around in the boat, and pulled the wireing from the starter switch.<br /><br />The switch is circular. It has a OFF and START position. You insert the key, and turn right to start. When turning off, you simply switch back to the OFF position. On the rear of the switch, are 6 places to attach wires. One of these is a screw-in type, and has a yellow/Black stripped wire attached.<br /><br />The other wires from the outboard/battery are disconnected. Could someone possibly tell me what goes where.<br /><br />The remaining terminals on the starter are labelled C, S, A, W, and B<br /><br />The remaining wires are coloured Red ( fairly thick one ), Yellow, Purple/White, Black, Light/Blue<br /><br />Any help would be much appreciated. If I could buy you a virtual beer, I'd be happy to. If no one can help me with the actual wiring, is there a way I can tell what goes where with a circuit tester, etc ?<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Lance

mrjams

Cadet
Re: 80 Johnson 35HP 3Z59U8 Ignition Wiring at starter switch

oops heres i try again,, heres a ignition switch schematic i have for a 55 hp rude good luck with yours
ignitionswitch.jpg