Portable Handheld VHF Radios

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
Question 1. Do "ALL" portable VHF radios have a back up batteries? Meaning if I had to abandon ship, would they "ALL" work in the life boat? And for how long?<br />Question 2. Do I still need a fixed boat atenna?, or is the one on the portabale radio itself good enough to have? I am thinking of getting a Uniden. Any thoughts. Thanks

wgander

Cadet
Re: Portable Handheld VHF Radios

Some portables run on battery packs, most can also accept individual AA batteries. Most run for up to 10 hours on fresh batteries. One thing to consider is having a separate recharger. The battery packs for my hand held have to be in the radio while recharging. That's why I bought a second battery pack and also carry spare AA batteries.<br />Most handhelds don't connect to the boat's antenna.<br />Unless you're going more than 10 miles out, you can probably get by with a handheld.<br />Most radios are pretty much the same in each price range.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

They all have a battery and would work in a raft. Most today are water resistance and will survive even if they go under water for 30 minutes. <br /><br />How much Time depends on the size and type of battery. Also how much you use it and what power setting you use. I have two and turn them on when on the boat or checking the weather before going out. In receive only mode they last over one week run about 5 hours a day. Mine use AA rechargable batteries. They will come with a portable antenna but the range is about 2 miles if your at Sea Level. Longer range if talking to a coast guard station with a high mounted antenna. The fixed mount antenna on your boat would be better if the boats right side up. You need an adapter to connect to the fixed boat antenna.<br /><br />I really like mine but they are West Marine brand. They came with both an AC and a DC charger. Also came with a battery pack to use standard Alkaline AA batteries. Rated to go under water 3 feet for 30 minutes and still work. They are suppose to float but they also sell a float water poof pouch. I am not sure who makes them for West Marine but they have been good radio for 2 years now. I have a model VHF100 and a VHF200.<br /><br />While they can be a good short range back up I think first radio should be a Fix VHF with a great antenna.

18rabbit

Captain

If you are abandoning a boat you are going to want to take more than just a handheld VHF. You’ll want to prep before the need arises by having a bailout bag, everything you need together and ready to go. You don’t have to worry about broadcast distance because your primary concern is contact with aircraft or vessel in the vicinity. Your general location will be known because your EPIRB will be active. Don’t have an EPIRB? ... don’t go more than a few miles offshore, and you don't need a handheld VHF.<br /><br />Major diff between handhelds is the water resistance. Unfortunately, the stds for rating this ‘feature’ are misunderstood. There are only a couple models available that are reasonably waterproof.<br /><br />Uniden has a history as a lower quality product. The new line of Uniden fixed mount VHF is going heads up against Icom, which has a well deserved history of a top quality product, and Uniden is prevailing. Can’t comment on the Uniden handhelds. If you are considering an older Undin model, I wouldn't. I would be looking at Std Horizon, Icom, and Simrad handhelds.<br /><br />Nice thing about the Std Horz is they come with a li-ion batt and charger. You can buy an inexpensive holder for AA batts to toss into your bailout bag. If/when the li-ion batt dies, pop in a couple AAs. And the Std Horz is one of the better models for water submersion.

Mike83

Seaman Apprentice

I have a newer haldheld Uniden VHF. Really nice little unit. Includes a DC and AC charger, NiMH battery pack, as well as can use regular AAs. antenna is removable and it looks like a standard connector so a big 8 footer can probably be connected. I have yet to run the NiMH dead, and I can recieve NOAA weather alerts at my house in the middle of a big city (about 10 miles or so away from Lake Ontario)<br /><br />I wanted it for mobility. We have 2 boats. (My primary one being a bass boat so a 8' antenna is out of the question) and want to listen to fishing reports from shore. Those are things I woulden't get from a fixed mount

KRS

Banned

When your portable dies, it's dead.<br /><br />But your mobile radio in your boat will work long after the starting batteries can't start the engine.<br /><br />Nothing, I nothing is a substitute for a long antenna, mounted high, with 25 watts... a handheld will never come close.<br /><br />And, your mobile mount will never drop overboard.