Minn Kota trolling motor only runs in reverse

Danzio

Cadet
I own a trolling motor that is about 22 years old but has only been used for a few hours.....Literally. It's a long story but the motor was purchased and before I could ever use it I totalled the boat in an auto accident. Anyway, I have just started using it and after a few hours the forward position will not work. It will go in reverse no problem. I would like to know if there is a way to test it to find out what the problem is. And if I take it to a repair center would they even have parts for it after all these years. I only use it on my personal pontoon type float tube so I really don't need a new high tech motor. I did open it up hoping to find a loose wire or something obvious but I saw nothing. Any help here greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Dan

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota trolling motor only runs in reverse

Need a little more info. Is there a separate FWD/REV switch? If so, check the switch. If the speed and direction are controlled by twisting the handle one way for FWD and the other way for REV it could also be that switch. I assume this motor has more than one speed so it would be rare that all speed coils would be bad. This would point to the direction switch as the problem. If the motor runs in one direction but not the other says the motor is NOT the problem.

Danzio

Cadet

Upinsmoke,<br />The motor has a rocker switch to control direction. There is a 5 speed + off rotating handle. If it is the switch is it replaceable? Is it something I could just go down to Graingers and get?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Dan

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm betting its the switch that's not working in one direction. Althought the switch may not be available any longer, a switch by any other name is still a switch. Electrons don't care what it looks like. Electronic stores like Radio Shack and even department stores that carry auto parts have heavy duty switches that would work. Check the number of terminals on the switch and get one that has the same configuration. It may require a little creativity to mount it on your motor but that's a simple matter of giving it a little thought. If you can't find a suitable replacement, check back and I'll look through my supply and provide you with a Christmas present.

Danzio

Cadet

Fixed it! AND it didn't cost a penny.<br /><br />I took the switch apart and what I found was the little rubber membrane (seal) had deteriorated and one very small spec of rubber had fallen right on top of one of the contacts. I simply removed it (as well as the rest of the membrane) and reassembled the switch and it is just like new.<br /><br />Thanks upinsmoke for suggesting the switch as the culprit.<br /><br />Dan

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Cool -- all problems should have such a simple fix. Merry Christmas

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Danzio:<br /> Fixed it! AND it didn't cost a penny.<br /><br />I took the switch apart and what I found was the little rubber membrane (seal) had deteriorated and one very small spec of rubber had fallen right on top of one of the contacts. I simply removed it (as well as the rest of the membrane) and reassembled the switch and it is just like new.<br /><br />Thanks upinsmoke for suggesting the switch as the culprit.<br /><br />Dan
You know, very few things in life come with EXTRA parts. My first thought was that your membrane provided some electrical isolation. Without it, the switch could inadvertantly make contact. Trolling motors use the water to help cool them. Run out of water for "long" periods, they can overheat. Point I'm making is; be sure what purpose that membrane served and that removing it will not cause some worse problem down the road. Or be very careful to make sure that the motor is not connected to any power source when not in use.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Point well taken, but the motor is 22 years old and its hard to tell how long the "membrane" has been broken. Doubt its a problem. Unless the motor is continuously exposed to rain/sleet/snow. In that case a plastic bag placed over the head (of the motor) would protect the switch.