TRICKLE CHARGER

Vantoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,<br />I have a 1 and a 2 amp trickle charger for my mortor cycle and was wonderin if either would be ok to put on my trolling motor battery and leave on. thanks for the help. Rick

18rabbit

Captain
Re: TRICKLE CHARGER

Should be ok. Deep cycle batts are ok on a trickle charger with up to 2% of there capacity. Less than 1% and the charger may not be able to keep up with the batts self-discharge rate. 2-amp trickle is ok for 90 to 105 a/hr deep cycle batt. A 1-amp trickle, half that.

cbcrawford

Seaman

While this is OK, it's really for more of a top-off or maintenance charge, not a full blown recharge. You'll do better with a smart charger that starts high and fades off as conditions merit . . . you'll get MANY more recharge cycles, and it won't take a month to recharge your deep cycle!<br /><br />I use an on-board, but for cheap & quick I think they run about $30 at wal-mart!<br /><br />Best of Luck!<br />CC

Vantoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by SHO-Boat:<br /> While this is OK, it's really for more of a top-off or maintenance charge, not a full blown recharge. You'll do better with a smart charger that starts high and fades off as conditions merit . . . you'll get MANY more recharge cycles, and it won't take a month to recharge your deep cycle!<br /><br />I use an on-board, but for cheap & quick I think they run about $30 at wal-mart!<br /><br />Sho, I have a charger like that. I would plan on recharging and then putting the trickle on for maintenance. Would that make sense? Rick<br />Best of Luck!<br />CC

ndemge

Commander

assuming you have them charged already and just want something to keep them floated for the winter, it works great.<br /><br />I had 6 deep cycles on the bench for a year hooked to a BatteryMinder

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

A better idea would be a cheap float charger from Harbor Freight. I bought a dozen more this year on sale, (11 bikes, 4 boats) and its a set and forget. All you do is fully charge the batt, put the float charger on, and see ya in the spring. I have all my boats batteries on one bench in the shop, just checked yesterday, and all running between 13.20, and 13.50, which is the sweet spot. No, it will NOT boil any water out, and hardly any amperage, so they work perfect. Just make sure you plug them in. The red light will come just from the battery, and if you forget to plug it in, that red light will drain your battery.....and don't ask how I know this...... :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Vantoo:<br /> Hello all,<br />I have a 1 and a 2 amp trickle charger for my mortor cycle
Actually, thats way too much for a trickle..1/2 amp plenty. 1 or 2 will cook a small bike batt dry......

cbcrawford

Seaman

To answer the question<br />**(Sho, I have a charger like that. I would plan on recharging and then putting the trickle on for maintenance. Would that make sense? Rick)**<br /><br />Yes it would work . . . now a good 'smart' charger will have a maintenance cycle at the end of it's charge cycle that you can leave it on without switching to a trickle charger, but yes, it will work.<br /><br />The most obvious sign of over-charging is when the battery cells start to boil . . . that means TOO much charge!<br /><br />Hope this goes well!<br />CC