Ignition switch OMC control box.

deerhound

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat has OMC control box, is there anything that I can do to protect the ignition switch from dampness and corrosion etc, I have not looked/checked out the box inside and was wondering if Die-electric grease is the thing to coat terminals in there? or maybe Petrolium jelly and would it be bad practice to cover the OMC box with plastic bag? when I took cover off boat today there is a lot of water on inside of cover and control box soaking!thanks again J.B.D.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ignition switch OMC control box.

You need to ventilate the boat cover to prevent condensation. You will then not have to worry about the condensation getting to other components (like the instrument panel connections. That condensation will also cause mold and mildew on seat surfaces and hasten the deterioration of interior materials. Unless of course the boat has an unfinished interior. As for using a bag to protect the controls, aren't they already "protected" by the cover? You will only make the situation worse by concentrating the condensation.

deerhound

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again Upinsmoke for information, your advise has now led me to the seats which I covered today with plastic bags to keep water off!(took seat cushions out)so maybe better take bags of them as well? I used Duck tape to secure my boat cover round the bow and I think I may have done to good a job and kept out the wind? although now here the weather is very damp indeed,I suppose a spray with WD40 over box would do no harm? thanks again Upinsmoke, J.B.D.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

When winterizing my boat I always remove all of the cushions. I also open my motor cover and let the air move by putting a box fan in the boat and letting it run. If I notice any moisture developing after all this I plug in a heater for a few days to remove any moisture. I usually just leave the heater in the cabin doorway through the winter and plug it in when needed. So far I haven't had any problems and the boat seems to stay pretty dry through the winter.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

One thing that will help is to get some liquid vinyle (sp) and coat the connections on the ignition switch. You might also coat all electrical contact points in the control box. This will help keep the moisture off the exposted metal. Same on the engine.